47

LOVE AND WAR
47. You'll Be King

 You'll Be King

1473

    In the throne room, Edward stood with Arthur in the throne room, looking straight at the throne. Edward wore his crown and Arthur stared up at it closely, seeing as though his father had just told him that he was to be King one day.

"Shall I really be King one day, Father?" Arthur, who was eleven-years-old asked his father.

Edward quietly chuckled, kneeling next to his son. "Yes, Arthur. You will be King of England when I am gone. You will rule England greatly with your mother there to help you. You have a kind heart. It will make you loved by thousands," He paused, noticing how Arthur looked disappointed by the news, "What's wrong? Aren't you happy that you'll be king one day?"

"I don't want to be king if you're dead, Father," Arthur argued, shaking his head in disapproval.

Edward sighed in defeat, feeling guilty at that moment. It was the fate of kings, he was always told, that they could never see what kind of king their son would be.

Edward knew, though. He knew his son would be a good one if he was given the chance.

"I won't die for a very long time. I promise," Edward assured him, removing his crown before holding it in his hands.

"Good. Mother would be very sad and I don't like to see her sad," Arthur confessed, seeing as though he was the only one out of his siblings to truly be old enough to remember all of the times his mother had been heartbroken.

"Neither do I, my son," Edward admitted softly before a smile formed on his lips.

He lifted his crown, wasting no time placing it on Arthur's head. It was big for him, which caused Edward to chuckle.

1484

Nora was standing in her office with Richard, who was sitting down close to her when Anne entered with Arthur. Both of them immediately knew something was wrong solely by the look on Richard's face. He looked uneasy while Nora seemed upset.

"What's wrong, Uncle Richard?" Arthur asked in concern as he walked closer to Richard and his mother.

  "Your mother and I thought once Elizabeth's boys were publicly revealed bastards and were disinherited, we would be safe, but Henry Tudor is now betrothed to your half-sister Elizabeth," Richard explained and Arthur immediately frowned since it had only been a few months since he had agreed to Henry's betrothal to Lizbeth, not Lizzie.