46

LOVE AND WAR
— 46. Princes in the Tower

 Princes in the Tower

A year later, Arthur sat on his throne with Nora and Richard, his regents, standing on both sides of him. He wore his crown, one that greatly resembled the one his father used to wear.

The Duke of Buckingham, Sir Robert Brackenbury, and Lord Stanley all stood before him, ready to be gifted their new titles.

His Uncle Richard had told him that the trio were the only ones he could trust. While Nora did trust Brackenbury, she warned her son to be wary of the two others, especially Lord Stanley, who happened to be Margaret Beaufort's husband. He was a man known for constantly switching sides during the wars. She knew better than to trust him fully and she hoped her son felt the same.

Nora most definitely didn't trust Margaret, despite the woman being one of her ladies. She was even cautious as to what she said in front of her.

Before Arthur became king, Margaret only had to worry about Prince Edward and Prince Richard after Edward died for her son to become king. Now, she had to worry about Arthur, Thomas, George, Edmund, their uncle Richard, his son, and their cousin Edward. Seven people. Seven bodies her son Henry had to walk over to become king and worst of all, he wanted Lizbeth as his queen.

After rising from his seat, Arthur walked in the direction of the three men, his hands behind his back. "My affinity, my kin, my loyal men at arms. I am the rightful king. The son of the two people in England who had the strongest claim to the throne of England in years. I hereby name you guardians of my kingdom, the men whom I shall rely on from this day until the end of my days."

Arthur continued to walk until he was directly in front of Lord Brackenbury. "Sir Robert Brackenbury," He spoke up and the man wasted no time kneeling before his king, lowering his head as Arthur placed the piece of jewelry around his neck, "I hereby name you constable of the Tower."

"Harry Stafford, Duke of Buckingham," he called out next, walking to stand in front of the kneeling man, "Lord Chamberlain of England."

"Lord Thomas Stanley," He continued on, standing in front of the third man, "Lord High Constable of England. And in place of the late Anthony Rivers...The order of the Garter."

Still kneeling, the men raised their heads to look up at their king as they made their solemn vow. "I swear my fealty to God and King Arthur."

Arthur turned his head to look at his mother, who smiled at him. He took a deep breath, turning his attention back toward his three newest advisors. "I am thankful for your loyalty, my lords. I hope that with your assistance that I will become a king that England will love."

Once the ceremony was over, Arthur walked down the hallway with Lizbeth, both of them locking arms as they spoke to one another.

Arthur enjoyed his sister's company as of late more than he did before. He enjoyed her council. She was politically adept and he knew with her help, he could become a great king. He did, after all, only have a little less than a year before he would be a king without his mother and uncle as his regents.