hotel.

When Jade's body jolted up in a panic to hear glass shattering downstairs, she knew the divorce wasn't going to be as stress free as she'd hoped.

Jade got up and carefully walked toward her cracked open door to inspect the noise. She began to hear screams and shouting from downstairs, both belonging to her parents. She wanted to throw her head back and whine.

She made her way to the corner of the staircase, listening in.

"Rachel, what the hell!" Michael shouted, "That was my grandmas—"

"It was ugly anyway." Rachel slurred.

Jade rolled her eyes at her mothers immaturity.

"For fucks' sake, Rachel, you are going to wake up our sleeping child!" Michael shouted as quietly as possible.

It was no doubt that Jade loved her father more than her mother — if she had to choose. Michael was always truly there for her when she needed it.

Rachel would always be in front of her, sure. But she was never there. She seemed to always put school work before Jade's feelings. She never cared if her daughter was alright, perhaps if she'd felt okay.

The front door slammed after a moment, leaving Jade flinched and annoyed. She walked slowly down the stairs where Michael stood, his head in his hands whilst he leaned against a counter.

Michael turned around to go and retrieve a dustpan and broom when he saw his daughter standing on the staircase.

"Oh honey," He frowned. "I am so sorry— I shouldn't have shouted. What are you doing awake?"

"It wasn't you who woke me up, it was mom," Jade said, pointing to the broken vase on the floor. Michael exhaled.

"I don't really want to stay at the house tonight," Michael said softly. "How about we get a hotel?"

Jade and Michael packed their bags not even 3 minutes later and were out the door by 2 am. The car ride was silent. Until one finally dared to speak.

"Hungry?" Michael hummed softly, causing a glance from Jade.

"It's nearly 3 am." She mumbled, glancing at her father.

Michael shrugged softly. "I noticed you didn't eat much for dinner. Let's get some food."

As Michael and Jade now sat in a restaurant booth, he was calmer. His heart rate had slowed down and he could finally text his best friends.

Michael: I've stopped to get her some food. She was hungry, I could tell.

Luke: Good. I'm glad she's eating. I hope you two are holding up okay, yeah?

Ashton: How is she?

Michael: She's holding up. I can tell she's upset, though.

Calum: Well, I talked to Lillian earlier. I wanted to know if she knew any background on what Jade was feeling, Lils told me Jade knew about the fighting the whole time.

Luke: Poor girl.

Michael: She mentioned she knew about it long before we told her. I suck.

Ashton: You don't suck. You're a grieving father of a relationship you assumed would last forever. It's tough.

Ashton: My family are sending our thoughts.

Michael: I love you guys. See you tomorrow.

By the time Jade was done, it was nearing 4 am. They were both exhausted, obviously. Michael paid for the meal, took Jade's hand, and walked to the car.

20 minutes went by, and they finally arrived at the hotel. Michael carries his bags and some of Jade's and Jade carries her backpack.

They checked in and went to their room immediately. The tiredness in Jade's eyes made Michael's heart fall.

"Go get some sleep, angel." He mumbled against her head. "I love you."