𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘪 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘯𝘢 𝘬𝘦𝘦𝘱

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙡𝙫𝙚

he could hear merlin's scream, the pure horror in her voice as she knelt beside his body. he could hear mira and could see hear as his eyes threatened to close. he could see the petrified look on her face, tears streaming down her cheeks. she called his name as elizabeth hurried over as well.

"stop arthur! let go of the sword!" merlin commanded, "si-sis, hurry and heal him!"

"open your eyes arthur!" elizabeth cried.

'merlin... mira... i'm sorry'

"king... why could arthur do that to himself?" diane asked shakily.

"i don't know, but it seemed as if he was being controlled by someone." king answered.

"i can't do it, merlin! unless we get the sword out, i can't heal the wound!" elizabeth exclaimed.

'i couldn't... meet... your expectations...'

"please release your grip, arthur!"

"arthur!"

cusack's voice came in through his head, "i'm not done with you yet, boy! muster up the very last bit of your strength and destroy your own heart!"

"this is just too cruel..."

"arthur... you lied to me..."

this was the last thing he heard as his eyes closed, releasing him into the awaiting darkness.

mira gripped arthur's arm as he stopped breathing. she searched for any sign that it might start up again. however, the blank look in his eyes said everything. his grip finally loosened from the sword, but it was already too late. there was no reason to try and heal him now. the tears continued to stream down her face as she sobbed, clutching onto his tunic. she pulled him closer, careful not to budge the sword sticking out of his back.

"arthur... please... you promised..."

"please arthur... don't leave me..."

"arthur!"

𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚𝙨𝙠𝙞𝙥

mira stood in merlin's room, watching the mage and elizabeth as the stood beside arthur's body. she observed the peaceful look on his face, her eyes stained red from crying. she observed the way the sword barely touched the ground as his body hovered before merlin.

"he was a young man of unfathomable talent and character... and still unknown magic hidden within him. from the moment i first met him, i felt his destiny. but in the end, i wasn't able to draw out his dormant potential... if only i had succeeded... then just maybe..." merlin muttered. she leaned over and moved his stray hair away from his face. "weren't you going to show me a world i'd never known before?"

mira furrowed her brows as the mage continued, "arthur... where is your soul now? is it before my eyes? is it still in your body? or... has your soul and blood been absorbed alongside those of countless heroes before you within the holy sword? has it already begun deciding who its next host shall be...?"

merlin sat down beside arthur as elizabeth spoke up, "arthur was someone completely irreplaceable to you, wasn't he? just as meliodas is to me..."

mira walked over to stand beside merlin. she stared down at her lover's face, uncomfortable at how tranquil he seemed. she took a shaky breath as she smoothed out a crease on his tunic. "i understand how much you're suffering, merlin. it's... not easy... looking at him right now. especially since i failed to protect him... i'm the one at fault here."