"I miss you and you're only three feet away"

The audience wanted Paul so here I am providing mr McCharmly. Enjoy 😊.

I walked up to the bar and sat down. I ordered a drink and sat in silence. The music played but it was muffled by my thoughts. I wasn't really paying attention to my surroundings, but I was vaguely aware of the erupting room around me. There was a large group of women dancing towards the wall, they looked like they were having a fun ladies night. Couples danced behind me mostly, I saw them while I was walking into the pub. And of course there were the men who lined the walls waiting to ask a girl to dance. They were all pretty nice, I had danced with quite a few of them. They came regularly and just wanted to make sure all the girls had a fun night dancing. But every so often you'll run into the creeps.

The bar tender handed me my drink and I thanked him with a smile. I was starting to acknowledge the band that was playing, it was my best friend's band. I was friends with all of them but I still just referred to it as Paul's band.

"Alright we're going to take a 10 minute break, but we'll be back to play some more!" The crowd let out a cheer at Paul's words as the band put their equipment down and hopped down from the stage. "Can we get a round of rum and coke please?" Paul asked the bar tender. He nodded and whipped up their drinks.

"Well, well, well." John locked eyes with me and the band turned to look at what he was looking at, which happened to be me. "You see familiar faces but not this familiar." I stood up as he walked over to me and we hugged. One by one I greeted the band. Paul was last and it seemed like our hug lasted a little longer than it should have. I didn't put too much thought into it.

He gave me a goofy grin. "Hello Y/N."

"Hi Paul." I smiled. Paul and I had been through a LOT and I hadn't seen nor spoken to him an god knows how long. A couple months, and that was a couple months too long. "So you're getting more gigs around here?"

"Yeah!" He smiled. "And a producer fellow offered to let us record an album!"

"That's fantastic! I'm so proud of you guys!" I gave them all individual smiles. "See I told you that you were going to be famous!" Paul only laughed.

-

Paul and I had gone through everything together. We grew up together, I had known him for god knows how long. Our parents have photos of us together hanging on the walls. He was my best friend. Secondary school rolled around and I figured out I had a small crush on my best friend. And I couldn't tell him because it would have ruined things. Before college we both ended up admitting that we had feelings for each other at some point but didn't date because Paul was going to go to art school while I was going to go to school in London to major in science and history. Not the most interesting but I wanted to be a teacher.

College rolled by and Paul and I stayed in contact the whole time. I wrote to him and called him when I got the chance. We talked about everything going on. He to,d me about John and his plans to start a band with him. Wrote to me when he dropped out of college. (This isn't accurate... don't call me out and if you don't know about how they met... not in college. Now back to your irregularly scheduled Chapter.) He has mentioned once in a letter that he had gotten a girlfriend. The week of receiving that I didn't answer the phone for 5 days. Out of spite I went on a date with a guy from my European History class. I have been in a relationship with this guy for 6 years.

-

The pub was closing soon and the band was done for the night about 20 minutes ago. They packed all their stuff into John's car.

"Y/N? You wanna go grab a cup of coffee and catch up?" Paul asked me.

"Just the two of us?" I asked him seeing as John, George and Ringo had all piled into John's car.

"Yeah. Just the two of us." (Riding nowhere, spending someone's HARRRD EARNNNNEEDDD PAAY. Okay I'm done) Paul smiled at me. It was nearly 11 at night. But I can't say no to Paul. So we walked side by side to the coffee shop down the street. We sat at a table and just started talking. We talked forever about everything that had happened during our 6 month period of not talking. We got our coffee and left the cafe, just walking.

"I missed this." Paul said looked at me. His eyes had a sad look to them. His smile faltered a little, like he was going to cry.

"Me too." I looked at him. "I really missed this."

"Talking for hours about stuff that seems small but still matters." Paul said. "What happened?"

"We just had different stuff going on-"

"No, what happened to us?" He cut me off.

"What do you mean?" His expression got sadder.

"You know perfectly well what I mean. We were so close to being together. We were so close to being happy y/n. Why did we let that slip?"

"Paul you know we would have driven each other mad." I told him. I was whispering. I was trying so hard not to cry.

"Nom, we wouldn't have. We would have been perfect. We would have been happy." Paul said, tears in his eyes. "Y/N, I miss you and you're only three feet away. I miss you so much."

"We made mistakes." I whispered.

"We can fix that." He looked hopeful.

"Paul I'm in a 6 year relationship. I can't just drop it because you made up your mind on a decision that was obvious in high school." My voice was louder. I was crying. Tears running down my face. "We might be able to fix this yes, but not right now. I've been putting of breaking his heart for so long Paul." My voice broke. "So long." I was bawling at this point. He stopped and pulled me into a hug. My face was buried into his chest. He knew. He knew it from the day I told him I was dating him. He knew it when I first introduced him, I didn't love my boyfriend the way I should have. I dated him as revenge. I put off breaking up with him because I don't want to break his heart. I put it off because the longer I took, the harder it was going to be for him.

"Shhhhh." Paul whispered as I cried. He rubbed my back in a comforting way, his cheek was resting on my head. This felt so nice, and so right. Paul was right, we belonged together. Like soulmates.

Honestly hope that was ok. I had the prompt in my mind the other night at like 2 in the morning and I wanted to sleep, so I just tucked away the idea and hoped I remembered it. This wasn't how I imagined, but we just went with it because I have to role through with my random beginning I just give myself. Hope you liked it, sorry if it made you sad.

Stay Lovely 😊