Prologue

Melinoë sat in the armchair in the library. Her hair, black as coal, in a ponytail, her eyes, equally black directed at me, yet her skin white as snow. She had her legs crossed, her outfit was pure leather, pants, shirt, shoes, jacket.

Zagreus sat on the couch. Jeans, worn boots, a deep green shirt, the top button open. His dark eyes were directed at me, his hair short, unruly and almost but not quite black. He'd run his finger through it so many times I'd lost count.

I was fingering my own hair, white as snow.

"He won't show up," Melinoë said.

I sighed and looked at her. I was in an armchair too. "He'll be here." I reassured her. He'd promised.

She leaned back in her chair and sighed. "Why is it, again, I'm even agreeing to be here?" she asked.

"You care about our old man," Zagreus said.

Melinoë looked at Zagreus. "Must be the reason."

I smiled and crossed my legs.

"Macaria, what is his plan?"

I shrugged. "He's been sulking. It's unbearable when you're around him all day."

"Figures," Melinoë said. "Why would Persephone run otherwise?"

Zagreus was standing, pointing his finger at Melinoë. "If you're about to defend that bitch for trying to poison a human to death, get out." His voice was even and flat, as devoid of emotions as Hades' was when he was mad.

"Listen, I don't care who that chick is, the fact that Persephone is a bitch is not something I'm about to argue about. I'm just saying, I understand why she doesn't want to be down here all the time. It's not her scene."

"Who are those people who end up in Erebos?" I asked.

Melinoë smiled a secretive smile. "All the weird and creepy ones, and then I'm there and they try to hit on me before I scare them so bad they pee their pants."

"Only you would look happy about that," Zagreus remarked.

She shrugged.

The door was opened, and Hades stood in it. "Yay, family meeting," he said, sounding anything but enthusiastic.

"No, that would have to include Persephone too, but she doesn't belong," Melinoë said.

Hades sat down in the remaining armchair, his ankle resting on the other leg's knee.

"I, uhm, I looked into things," Zagreus said and rubbed his eye.

Hades was like a zombie of who he once was.

"Bring it," Melinoë said, impatient.

Zagreus shot her a look before looking at Hades. "So, there's this guy in the waiting room and he's not looking good. Like, we didn't take him in here, because he wouldn't survive. But, you could reincarnate him. Because he's living pretty close to Stella."

Hades was barely blinking. It didn't even look like he was registering what Zagreus said.

Melinoë leaned forward, arms on her knees. "Listen, no matter what, you will reincarnate. I can't handle this sulking around, and I'm not telling you to fall for someone or whatever, but you need a change of scenery."

Hades leaned back in his chair. "Yes, I do." He said, staring at the ceiling, before looking at each of us in turn.

I was tired. After two months of Hades' sulking, it was taking a toll on me. When he wasn't working, I had to. And I knew, I had help, had Hades not been there. But he scared people away as of right now.

"It can be arranged today," Zagreus said. "By tomorrow afternoon it's too late."

I pulled my legs under me.

Hades didn't utter a word.

"Right," Melinoë said. "Pros: you'll get your mind off of everything, and maybe see Stella and that she's good and all. Cons: you might see Stella and see that she doesn't remember."

"Thank you, Melinoë," Hades said.

"You are very welcome," she said. With a sigh she leaned back in her chair. "I'm starving!"

"Fine, I'll go," he said. "I'll reincarnate this person."

"Guy," Zagreus said. "He was being shot, though I'll make sure the records are altered, because you won't have a giant scar on your chest from the bullet."

Hades nodded, his jaw was tense.