Charon

Macaria

I was riffling through papers, when Charon entered the office. He was, in a way, the grandfather I'd never had. Chronos wasn't around, for obvious reasons. Charon wore a black suit, he had his cloak slung over his arm.

"Can I help you?" I asked.

He put down the cloak. "Macaria, Persephone has, once again badgered me about letting her into the Underworld. I didn't let her, but please let Zeus know."

I nodded and phoned Zeus via the globe.

"I am in the middle of something important." Came Zeus' voice.

"Persephone has tried to enter the Underworld. Again." I said.

"Damn her," muttered Zeus. "I'm on it."

"Thank you." We hung up, and I turned off the globe.

Charon was still watching me.

"What?" I asked.

Charon sat down. "Macaria, please, you need to take a break."

"You never take breaks."

"I do, I have other rowers. That's the point with the cloak, no one will be able to see whether it's me or not."

I smiled. "I like to work, it keeps me going." I said.

"Is it something to do with Hades?"

I shrugged. "No, I don't think so."

Charon smiled.

"Maybe. I miss him. And it's weird, because I'm used to seeing him every day, but when you don't know when you'll see him again, time takes on meaning."

"How is he doing up there?"

"Okay," I replied. "He's met Stella, so that's something. I'm not sure how that's going. I'm not checking in too often."

Charon nodded.

"I want him to be happy, it's been too long."

"And for you?"

I shrugged. "It has only been fifty years." As immortal that wasn't a long time.

"Ah yes! A lovely gentleman, if I remember correct?"

I nodded. "No one in the realm of gods care for me, simply because I'm related to Hades."

"They simply aren't mature enough," Charon said and stood. "Persephone wants to access a globe. I'm not sure if she wants to see if the girl has died, or if she just wants to find a way to contact Hades."

"Just make sure she's not in sight of a globe." I muttered. "And Zeus is on it."

Charon draped the cloak over his shoulders. "Take care."