close

Stella

I woke up, wrapped in Hades. His head was on my chest, arms and legs wrapped around me. I toyed with his hair, feeling utterly content, and spent, lying in his arms.

He woke a moment later, lifted his face and looked at me. His eyes were even darker in the lighting in my bedroom. He was looking at me for what felt like forever, before his eyes widened, and he was out of bed in a heartbeat.

"What's happening?" I asked.

He was already in boxers and a t-shirt. "Persephone is close. Melinoë too."

"I didn't think you could sense it on Earth?" I said confused. I was sitting, the comforter wrapped around me.

He pulled his hair into a bun, not as tight as usually, but he was in a hurry. Pants and socks, and he looked at me. "When I know they're here, and I am me, I can sense it. Otherwise I can't."

"There are like a ton of exceptions to these incarnation rules, you know that, right?"

Hades actually smiled. "Yeah, I know."

I rolled my eyes.

"I helped creating them." He leaned in and kissed my lips.

"Can I come?" I asked.

His eyes turned, if possible, even darker.

"Talk to me," I whispered.

He sighed. "I can't risk you."

"But if Persephone sees you?"

"I don't think she'll kill me," he said.

"Don't think is not good enough." I whispered.

"Then get dressed," Hades said.

I was hyperaware of his eyes on me. Quickly I got dressed and put my hair in a ponytail.

Hades followed me with his gaze.

"Weird thought," I said. "But if we have kids, then what?"

"Then what?" he asked. "It's not given they can remember us in the Underworld, or even that you remember me, but on Earth it'll be as if we're just on Earth."

I nodded.

"Why?" he asked.

"It just crossed my mind," I said.

"Are you pregnant?" Hades asked. All playfulness was gone, he was a hundred percent serious.

"No," I said. "I just had my period, I just thought about it."

He nodded and reached for my hand.

We had breakfast in the kitchen in a normal tempo. It felt so weird.

"What are we waiting for?" I asked.

"Melinoë to make her move," Hades said.