Greek myths

Stella

He was easy to talk to. Once we'd laid our jobs to rest, we started to discuss hobbies. Lisa and I had attended a dance class the year before, and while she still talked to our partners, those four months of disability had left me with a limited social life. The teachers at school, yes, but only one were my age. We did get along, but we seldom met at school.

He was into Greek mythology.

"For real?" I asked.

He nodded. "It's something completely different, and I just read the myths, but I enjoy it."

"Obviously," I said. "I'm not like into Greek mythology, but I've seen Hercules and know about Zeus and that, but it seems to me that, for example, Olympus is somewhere you can go by climbing a mountain, and the Underworld too, it's attainable."

"Well, to get to the Underworld you have to pass Cerberus, and Charon is sailing you across the waters."

I nodded. "I didn't know that," I mused. "But it still seems as if you can, like, pass into this realm on Earth."

"Yeah," Hector said, he smiled. "One of my best friends claims that I enjoy it so much because some of it is so unrealistic. What I do is based on facts, and this is built purely on myths and ideas."

"But that's the beauty of it too," I argued.

"Are you into facts or myths?" he asked.

I smiled. "Facts," I said. "But sometimes I do believe that there's something more, something beyond our comprehension."

"When you were in that car crash, accident, were you unconscious or do you remember any of it?"

I tightened my ponytail. "I was in a coma."

"Oh," he said.

I nodded. "I don't remember anything about it, just that I was in some pain when I woke up."

"Understandable," he noted.

"Yeah," I looked at the tea.

"But how are you doing now?"

I looked at Hector. It rushed to me, all at once. Something about him seemed familiar, though I hadn't spoken to him before. "Uhm, fine," I said. "I'm still too tired after work, but I'm getting there. My elbow and wrist were acting up when we met, and sometimes I can feel my pelvis when I stand, but it's nothing compared to in the hospital."

Hector nodded. "Out of curiosity, where do you live?"

"Nearby," I said. "With my brother and sister."

Hector regarded me with a sort of openness I hadn't met in a long time. Dominic, when I dated him in college, was always complaining about everything. Especially if I didn't do what he thought I should do. Like taking too many classes.

"Why?" he asked.

"Uhm, they are in college, they didn't want to live at home. My Dad and his wife don't provide the best environment. They expect too much too soon."

Hector nodded. "What about your mom?"

"She's dead," I said.

"Mine abandoned me when I was little," he said. "So I've been in foster care my entire life."

I looked at him. "Really?"

He nodded. "It was a good family, but they weren't young when I came to live with them. They provided a good backdrop for me, they encouraged me to pursue my dreams, and they passed three years ago."

"I'm sorry to hear," I said.

He shrugged. "They've found their peace, I'm sure."

"Do you believe in God or in the Greek myths?"

"I don't know," he said. "It's a deep discussion for the first time we meet."

I glanced at my phone to check the time. "I mean, we've talked for five hours, so I guess we know each other a little by now."

Hector laughed. It was a throaty laugh, that had my insides reacting. Butterflies spread their wings in my stomach.