kids again

Stella

I shot a text to both Adam and Taylor. Dad had warned me that he would be back because he wasn't happy with how I'd handled it. As if we were all ten year olds who needed an adult to look after us.

And Taylor and Adam didn't want to be home unless I was there, now Dad and Donna sometimes would pop over. They visited Tuesday and Wednesday. And both times they'd met me as I came home from work. Since they wouldn't discuss it when Taylor and Adam was around, they wanted me to text them so they wouldn't be home.

That's when I got mad and told them to stay away, as they had no right to interfere and demand we do as they bid.

I brought the phone with me back, just in case they answered.

Hades had finished his meal when I came back. The plate was before him on the table, and he followed me with his dark, dark eyes.

I sat back down.

"Everything okay?"

I shrugged. "My Dad thinks he can decide for Taylor and Adam, who are both eighteen." I hesitated before adding. "And he'd love to decide what I should do too."

Hades reached across the table and gently squeezed my hand. "I thought you wanted two weeks?"

I nodded, my gaze at his hand. "Well, Dad and his new wife Donna, came over a few times during the week, trying to force us all to be kids again, and I realized you were the one I'd go talk to, had I gotten the chance."

He squeezed my hand again, and I lifted my face, looking at him. "It's okay."

"Sure?"

He smiled. "Stella, I want this. And it's okay, we both needed the time to think."

"Have you changed your mind?" I whispered.

"No, but I understand what you told me. That I should try not to compare you, even though I'm not. And I should be me here, not the Hades I am in the Underworld."

I nodded, still unsure.

"But surely, one thing is more difficult here, though it's for the better. You're not snooping around in my stuff."

I blushed.

He laughed, it was quiet and it made me blush harder. "You know all about my dirty family secrets."

"No," I said. "I don't, I've just scratched the surface. How many thousand years..."

"At least five thousand." He added.

"Yeah, that's a lot of years to fill me in on."

He smiled. "Maybe we should start with you this time?"

I sighed. "If I'd rather wait?"

"You said you wanted to come here when your Dad and Donna was around?"

"Yeah," I said, looking at the table. "But that's because my relationship with my Dad hasn't been the greatest."

Hades wrapped both hands around one of mine.

"I hung out with Lisa today." I said instead, picking a lighter subject. "She's moved in with her boyfriend of at least a year."

"And she is happy with that decision?"

I nodded and looked at Hades. "We went shopping today. I don't like shopping per se, but I love spending time with her."

Hades' look was pure admiration.

"Stop it," I whispered. "We're not love-struck fools!"

He smiled a knowing smile. "We aren't?"

I pulled my hand to me and stood. "No, we are not."

"Okay," he acquiesced.

I narrowed my eyes when I looked at him.

His answering grin was huge. "Have you had dinner?"

I shrugged. "Lisa and I had a late lunch."

"Do you want to stay?"

Slowly I nodded.

"What do you want to do?"

"Hercules?" I asked. I wanted to be younger, freer, not having to worry about Dad or Donna and their stupid ideas. And, Dad didn't show up after eight either way.