dear mother

Melinoë

For the time being, I was in charge of Melisandre. Oddly, she didn't mind. She was a very pleasant human, except when she ranted on about her 'maybe this is my last period!'. She could have seen a doctor earlier. Maybe I was cynical, I had dealt with too many dead people who blamed everyone but themselves.

We were in the parking lot of Stella's building. Only because I knew what car Hector had, I knew Hades was there. I could sense him too, but I'd spotted the car first.

A woman, tall, taller than Persephone, wearing a suit, walked into the parking lot. I knew it was her, I could feel it. The energy was that of a God, and I knew what type of energy all gods had.

I stopped out of my car and walked to her. "Persephone, nice to meet you," I said.

She changed for my eyes. Wearing her outfit of choice, a flowy dress with some sort of flowers in her hair.

"Melinoë, this is none of your business," she said.

I smiled a bored smiled. "Funny," I said. "It is my problem. Don't patronize me."

"I am your mother." She said.

"Yeah, that would've worked when I was actually a kid." I said. "What are you doing here?"

"None of your business," she said and glanced at the building where Hades and Stella were.

I put my hands on my hips. "What are you trying to do?" I asked. "You know you won't get away with it."

That got to her, somehow.

"You know nothing, Melinoë," she said. "So stay out of it."

"No," I said. "I wouldn't be here if I believed I should stay out of it. Or if Zeus believed I should stay out of it."

"Then why isn't Zeus here?" she asked.

I smiled a smile as pleasant as I could. "Because he can't spend Rhea knows how long on Earth tracking you down. He's got other stuff to do, and he can send a helper to Erebos, we can't send a helper to do his job."

"Pity," Persephone said. "Now, get out of my way."

"Is this because you can't live with Hades loving someone else?" I asked.

"Hades deserves better than that mortal girl," she halfway sneered at me. 

"Have you told him?" I asked.

She took a step back so we were face to face again. "The man is blindly in love with that silly little girl. I'm trying to help."

"Then what about the other times he's been in love with someone?" I asked. "You need to move on, dear mother."

She slapped me.