Persephone

Macaria

I knocked on the door to Zagreus' house. Hard. Even if he were in the woods surrounding the house, he'd hear this.

"I'm coming!" came an annoyed shout.

I stopped knocking and turned around, scouting for Zagreus through the trees.

He appeared a moment later, carrying nothing. "What?!" he asked.

I looked pointedly at him.

"Yeah, yeah, come in," he said and unlocked the door.

We sat down in the kitchen. It was small, with forest green cupboards and dark brown table. So yeah, it was a bit dark, lit up with a bright light bulb.

"What's the matter?" he asked. "You never seek me out here."

"Zeus called, Persephone has heard Hades is back on Earth."

Zagreus' eyes went wide. "She what?"

"Exactly."

He rubbed his face. "Last time she found out, well, the time she found out and learned she could do something?"

"She staged an accident." I said. "Killing him."

Zagreus grumbled. "Fucking shit! Macaria, we can't let her do that. It would interfere with the natural order of things!"

"You already broke that," I reminded him gently.

"Yes, by changing his disease from a life-threatening wound no one knew about, to a fever no one knew about." He said sharply. "I discussed it with the Fates, and they told me to keep an eye on him as an untimely death was not in store for dear Hector."

I shut my eyes. "Persephone has zero regard for the Fates."

"This is not supposed to happen!"

"Zeus asked me to come to Olympus after we'd discussed it. He wants to know what we can do."

Zagreus put his face in his hands, elbows on the table. "Fuck!"

"The timing is not perfect."

"You think?" He snapped.