Chapter 24: Apologies and Forgiveness [Part 2 of 3]

Agent 3's (Sarah's) P.O.V:

I arrived a couple of hours later, around 5 or 6 o'clock.

I stood outside the door, nervous. I was slightly sweating, my body trembled a bit, and my stomach felt sick. The thought that I don't what his reaction would be made me feel worse.

I knocked on the door and patiently waited outside for him to open it. He eventually did and I stood in shock.

"Babe, what happened??" I asked concerned, letting go of the handle on top of my luggage to approach him. I cupped his face, examining his swollen, but healing, eye. "It's nothing really.." Mike muttered, setting both of my arms down. I felt shaky but I looked at his crimson eyes, wanting to say something but not being able to put my thoughts into words. He looked completely calm, but I could sense that he was clearly upset. Mike can try to hide his emotions, but he can't from me.

I let out a sigh and looked down in a way that he couldn't see my eyes, which were now tearing up. My body was now tensing up and my heartbeat accelerated. "M-Mike, can we t-talk?" I kept my head down, waiting to hear a response come out of him.

"Sure." He simply stated, turning around and headed to sit down in the living room.

I walked in and into my room to put away my bag first then quickly changed into something comfortable. A pair of shorts and an oversized t-shirt will do. Heading back to the living room, my hair now tied up, I looked at Mike.

He looked conflicted, and had a look of sadness in his eyes. I could feel tears already wanting to come out as I sat beside him, putting my hands over my thighs.

"M-Mike.."

Agent 8's (Mike's) P.O.V:

"I don't want to give any excuses to..to make it seem like..it's ok. I know it's not.." Her voice sounded like it was breaking.

My jaw tightened, and I sat there, not making eye contact with her. I've never seen or heard her like this, so this was new.

And I hate it.

"A-And w-well..." She sniffed, rubbing her eye. "I-I'm really sorry for ruining everything for you M-Mike...and the guilt is eating me up i-inside..."

I wanted to say something but I didn't know when was the right time. I will admit that what she did, didn't feel fair. But at the same time, I hate seeing her like this and crying, even though it's the first time.

"I-I'm really...sorry.." Sarah managed to get out, now sobbing.

Looking over at her, I clenched my hands into fists, and kept them over my legs. I could feel my eyes burning up, which meant that I was going to cry again.

It broke my heart seeing her cry like this and in front of me. It was hard to get out a single word to say.

There was a brief silence in the air for a moment, the only sounds being her sobbing and sniffling and my shifting.

"I-I know that what you did wasn't right, but I know you wouldn't do something like that on purpose Sarah.. I know you."

I hesitated for a moment, wondering if I had picked the right words to say.

"N-No I would never do something like that on purpose M-Mike...Especially not to you.." She whispered, calming down a bit.

"As conflicted as I feel. Mad, upset, and confused...I forgive you, it's ok Sarah."

She looked at me wide-eyed and her tears slowly stopped.

I leaned forward to her and wiped her tears with my finger.

"Just please stop crying..I hate seeing you like this.." I whispered to her and giving her a small smile. I cupped her cheek in my hand.

"I'm sorry.." She whispered again, leaning into my hand more, and putting her hand under mine.

"It's ok Sarah...I swear.." I whispered to her in a soothing voice, giving her a light kiss on the forehead. I stopped tearing up as she stopped crying.

"I love you babe.." She smiled brightly as her tears dried on her face.

"I love you too baby..." I smiled back.

Agent 3's (Sarah's) P.O.V:

Hearing those words come out of his mouth gave me butterflies in my stomach. His smile was so sweet and mine only widened. We stared into each other's eyes, getting lost once again.

After another brief moment of silence, I spoke up once again:

"C-Can I make up for this, please?" I asked, my voice still shaky from the crying.

Mike gave me a curious and questioning look and asked,

"Like what?"