Chapter Six: Outsider

I begin walking home. I remember Darry's words about it not being safe, but I half feel like I deserve a beating.
"Hey, Doll, get in the car," I hear.
Great.
I turn to see Darry with Ponyboy and Two-Bit in his car.
I smile and get in the backseat next to Ponyboy.

"Why aren't you going home with Bob and Randy?" Pony asks.
"They chose Cherry over me," I say.
"Wait, what happened?" Darry asks.
"Sylvia, Evie, and Sandy took pictures of me kissing Bob Sheldon at the DX," I explain, "And Cherry took pictures of me kissing him in my bedroom. Apparently Bob and Randy chose them over me. Some brother."

I remember the night at the Nightly Double. Randy was being so sweet.
Darry drops us off at the DX and I refuse to go inside.
"Nuh uh, their girlfriends are the reason my life's miserable," I shake my head.
"They broke up with them!" Pony pushes. He didn't push that hard, so it was easy to stay still.
"Well, they need to apologize!" I say.

Two-Bit sighs and picks me up. He takes me inside and places me on the counter.
"Y/N, hi," Steve blushes.
"Hey, you know we're sorry, right?" Soda apologizes.
"Sorry for what? Your girlfriends were the ones who made me miserable," I shrug.
"C'mon, Doll, don't give us the cold shoulder," Soda grins.
A stupid grin. A stupid handsome grin.

I would've fallen flat for him if it wasn't for the heartache.
"The broad was two-timing me again," Dally walks in, "Cheating while being such a bitch to the new girl, too. Some nerve, man."
He starts to ramble and I decide to walk home again.
I walk along the side of the road, kicking rocks whenever I see a big one.
I see the blue mustang and notice that it's empty. I run up and see Bob pin Johnny to the ground, punching him senselessly.

"Get off him!" I scream. I try to hit Bob's back, but the soc that jumped me before pulls me away.
"I reckon I oughta teach you a lesson," He gets close to me. He pulls out his blade.
"Hey, back off, David," Randy steps forward.
Bob gets up, his rings slightly bloody.
I pull up Johnny, who was banged up a bit but when he saw me he quit shaking. He pulls out his switchblade and pushes me behind him.

"Get out of here," Johnny commands.
"Y/N-" Bob ignores Johnny.
"You disgust me!" I spit.
"Hurt her and I'll cut you!" Johnny shouts.
Bob, Randy, and the other soc go back into the car. I don't know where the girls were.
When they leave, I hug Johnny, and he hugs back tightly.

I don't cry. I can't cry. Not in front of Johnny.
"Hey, what happened?" Steve shouts from afar.
"Just a couple socs," Johnny rubs my back.
"Glory, Johnny! You're bleeding!" I look up at him. Johnny was on the shorter side for a boy, he was still beating me by four or five inches.

"Oh come on, Doll, it's nothing I can't handle," He grins.
"You're my hero, Johnny Cade," I tell him as the guys come closer.
"Holy shit, are you two okay?" Sodapop asks.
"Yeah," Johnny throws his arm over my shoulder, "Let's head back to your place."
The gang walks me back to the Curtis house and everyone heads on the couches to watch Mickey Mouse.

"What? No fair!" I frown, being the only one without a place. I sit it Johnny's lap and he starts tracing shapes on my back.
"Hey, Y/N!" Darry shouts, coming in with a grocery bag.
"Hi, Darry," I wave with a smile. Everyone's so sweet, "Wow, how come I haven't hung out with y'all before?"
"Because you were too busy being a soc," Dally scoffs.

"Aw, Dal, I know you're just jealous," I smirk.
"Ain't nothin' to be jealous of, Doll," He smirks back.
I head to the kitchen and pour myself a glass of water. Two hands grip my hips and I turn to see Dallas standing over me.
"Hey there, Winston," I smile.
"Hey there, L/N," he smirks.
"Soo.." I say, bored, "You gonna move?"
"Nope," he shakes his head.

I lean forward, getting close to his lips, he stumbles back, confused, and I steal his spot on the couch.
"Hey, Two-Bit, you're blocking the TV!" I frown.
Two-Bit smiles at me, before pulling me into his lap. I lean back, and rest my feet on a chair in front of me.
"Welcome to the gang, Y/N," Dally sits down.
"Glad to be here," I smile.