Chapter Fourteen- The Hearing

"Fuck, fuck, fuck!"
I awkwardly sit in the living room of the Curtis house with my parents, Randy, Bob, and the gang.
"D-Darry?" Pony stutters.
"My good tie! Where's my good tie?!" He stomps around the whole house.
I sight and get up. I go into his room and look around.
"If I were a stressed out kid in his late teens, where would I put my tie?" I ask myself.

"You find it?" Darry asks.
"Oh! Of course," I speak to myself.
I walk to Darry and reach into his suit pocket. I pull out a neatly folded neck tie.
He chuckles and goes into the bathroom to put the tie on.
I walk out and we go to the cars.
Ted and Julia were going since they're my (and Randy's) parents.
Bob, Randy, Ponyboy, Johnny, and I are going because we were there.

Darry and Soda were going because they're his family, and the judges are decided whether or not Pony and Soda should be put in a boys home.
Dally was also going since he "helped us escape" from the police. Not that he'd be in trouble, they just wanted the full story.
I was so nervous when we got there. My heart was racing and my palms got clammy.
"Wish I had a cigarette," Pony whispers to me.

"It'll be okay," I assure him.
"I've never been more nervous," He admits.
"Look at Dal," I point to him, "He's fine."
"Dally's been in court a hundred times," Johnny cuts in.
"Fair enough," I smile.
First, they called Randy up.
"What happened in the night of David's assault?" The judge questions.

"Bob, David, and a couple other guys and me got drunk," Randy explains, "We knew that the greasers- uh- kids.. would be on that side of town. So we went in Bob's mustang to look for them. We found Ponyboy, Johnny, and Y/N at the park. We wanted to shake up the boys a bit. We never really wanted to hurt them too bad or anything. But we were the ones who started it. David, Bob, Matthew, and I took Ponyboy to the fountain while Andrew took care of Johnny. Everything next happened so fast. Johnny stabbed David, and we all ran. When they left, we checked on David and took him to the hospital."

"Do you believe Johnny had malicious intent and or the intent to kill David that night?" The judge asks.
"No sir," Randy shakes his head, "I think he was just trying to protect his friend is all."
"And the defendant Y/N is your sister, is that correct?"
"Yes sir."
"What was she doing when this all occurred?"

"She fell into the fountain trying to get us off of Ponyboy," Randy says.
"I see," The judge thinks for a moment, "Next witness."
Next, he called up the other socs, who told a similar story. Except David, he dramatized everything. Then, he called up Bob.
"Robert Sheldon," The judge states, "You were the one driving that night, is that true?"
"Yes sir," He nods.
"Tell us the events that occurred that night from your perspective."

"Well... we'd stupidly gotten drunk. I knew Y/N was always hanging around that gang, so I went to target them. I was angry and jealous. We got there, and found the three of them on a swing set. We were the ones who started the fight. We took Ponyboy the the fountain and put his head under the water. Y/N fell in and I took her out. And then, behind me, Johnny stabbed David. Everything next was a blur."
"When you say you felt angry and jealous, why were you?"

Bob hesitates. He stares at me then looks down before answering.
"I was angry for a lot of reasons," He admits, "My girlfriend at the time treated me like shit. I couldn't talk to Y/N because of said girlfriend. I was jealous of the greasers- uh.. her friends- because they got to spend so much time with her."
"And why is that?"
"Because.. I," Bob looks at his lap, "I like her."
"Shit," I hear Ponyboy mumble.

The judge asks him a few more questions before Dally went up. He asked him about the resources and the time of everything.
He questioned Johnny about why he stabbed David, and honestly I think the judge was in Johnny's favor. That made me relieved.
The judge asked Ponyboy about the night as well. He also asked him about if he was happy living with Darry.
"Miss Y/N, would you like to tell your side of the story?"

"Uh, yes sir," I nod, "Um.. well. We were at the park, just hanging out. When I noticed Bob's mustang approach. I was really nervous because I know that Bob and his friends have tried to hurt my friends before. They pushed down Johnny, and dragged Ponyboy to the fountain. I fell in, then Johnny stabbed David. The three of us ran to Buck's, where Dally was, and he helped us leave."
"And why did you feel like you had to leave?"
"Because we're greasers. Hoods. People often take one look at us and think we're lying."

"You say 'us' but to me, you seem more like your family than friends."
"I may seem so," I look at the greasers, "But I feel differently."
I was sent to sit back down as the judge made his decision.
"The three defendants have been found," We all sit at the edge of our seats, "Not guilty. At this time, I'll be placing Ponyboy Curtis in the custody of his older brother Darrel."

We all let out a sight of relief and hug each other.
"We aren't going to jail!" Ponyboy cheers.
"I'm not going to jail!" Johnny laughs.
"You get to stay with Darry!" I remind.
"Thank God," Darry hugs him and Soda.
"Hey, let's all go out for lunch," Ted says, "My treat."
"Yes! I'm starving," Soda nods.
"Who knew being interrogated caused hunger?" Dally jokes.