Chapter Twenty Two- Tradition

"I really don't wanna do this," I turn around to face them.
"Y/N, it's no big deal," Steve waves a hand to dismiss me.
"No big deal?" I scoff, "It's like a million feet down."
"No it's not," Darry shakes his head, "It's only like fifty."
"Don't be such a wuss," Dally teases, "We all did it."
"Yeah, it's really not that bad," Johnny tries to encourage me.

I'm standing on the edge of a cliff.
Literally.
Their "tradition" is to jump off a cliff into the lake.
"What if my bathing suit comes off?" I ask.
"Lucky us," Two-Bit winks.
"Y/N, you'll be fine," Soda steps towards me and puts his hand on my upper arm, "I promise."
"That's actually really nice, So-" I begin, but Sodapop pushes off the cliff and my heart drops.

I don't scream. I don't make a sound. When I hit the water, it kinda tingles, but it's not that bad. And my bathing suit stayed on.
In a couple seconds, the guys joined me and we all swam around in the lake.
"A turtle!" Steve pulls Two-Bit's shoulder.
"Where?!" Two-Bit asks eagerly.
"Under water!" Steve points.
When Two-Bit goes under, Steve takes both of his hands and pushes him down far. Two manages to come back up and throw Steve a foot in the air.

"Hey, Y/N!" Soda swims to me, but I look away to the other boys. Soda eventually catches up and holds me in his arms, "Are you still mad?"
I turn to him, "I mean... I should be. But this was an amazing experience. Plus, it'll be a fun story to tell my kids. 'Your Uncle Soda pushed me off a cliff once.'"
"Uncle?" Sodapop tilts his head.
"Or dad, we'll sway whichever way the wind blows," I wink.
"Y/N, Chicken fight!" Dally pulls me.

I get on his shoulders while Pony gets on Two-Bit's, and Johnny gets on Steve.
Sodapop and Darry felt it was unfair since, Darry was so bulky. And Soda said it was funny watching everyone.
Eventually, I win!
"Dallas and Y/N! The dream team!" I cheer as Dally lets me down, "DW/S/N!"
(Dallas Winston ship name)
"Congrats, N/N, you've completed the tradition," Ponyboy chuckles.
"I'm so honored," I touch my chest, "It wasn't actually that bad. It was thrilling."

3rd Person P.O.V.

"Steve and I come down here and jump just for the fun of it," Sodapop laughs.
The gang spends the next hour or two swimming and playing around. After awhile, they get out and dry off. Y/N lays on a flat, long rock and puts sunscreen on while the guys sit on rocks on the other side of the clearing, not that far, but just out of earshot.
They guys watch intensely as she rubs sunscreen on.
"Is this creepy?" Johnny asks Two-Bit.
"She's the one doing it," He replies.

"So? It's not an invitation for us to be weird," Ponyboy cuts in.
"What're we whispering?!" Dallas whisper yells.
"How attractive Y/N is, I assume," Darry tells him.
"How does she not have a boyfriend?" Soda stares at her.
"Because she wants to be asked out first," Steve shrugs, "I think dudes are scared to be rejected."

"Lucky us, I guess," Johnny chuckles.
"Whatta ya mean?" Steve furrows his eyebrows.
"Oh come on," Johnny looks at them, "You guys aren't gonna admit that you have a crush on her?"
The guys stayed quiet. And each one look at each other in confusion as they all realize. Except Dallas, who already knew.
"Two of my brothers are my romantic competitors," Sodapop laughs.

"So what now?" Two-Bit asks.
"I say we let her fall for whoever she wants," Pony shrugs.
"And don't tell her that we all like her," Darry reminds, "You know how she is under pressure."
"So what? Are we supposed to wait for months until she falls for us? What if she starts liking someone else?" Steve questions.
"Who? Buck Merrill?" Dallas laughs.

"She's pretty popular with the socs," Steve looks at him.
"Shit," Dallas looks at Y/N.
"Guys, we're the people who are closest to her," Johnny says, "She knows us. It's basically a one in seven chance of who she's gonna pick."
"Before I was fine with loving her from a distance," Two-Bit begins, "But now that I know my six best friends are my competition, I'm a little scared."

"Hey!" Y/N stands up, putting her clothes on top of her bathing suit, "I need to go back to my house to take care of Mickey."
"Okay?" Dallas tilts his head as Y/N walks over.
"I was just wondering if anyone wants to spend the night with me," She shrugs
The seven greasers all look at each other. This was the chance they hoped for, and so soon already.
Y/N waited as one boy stood up and offered.

A/N- The next few chapters are gonna be your final choices on who you end up with! And this time I'm not just copy and pasting mad lips style, I'm writing each one individually. But they are gonna be a little short so I'm sorry about that.

Let me know if you wanna see another Outsiders book!