Chapter Fifteen- First Date

Jesse Walker

"Hey, did you finish Mr

"Hey, did you finish Mr. Syme's assignment?" Ponyboy asks me.
"We had an assignment?" I question, "It's the last week of school! How could he give us.. oh." Ponyboy was grinning at me and I lightly shove his shoulder. "Haha, very funny."
"I thought so," He winks.
We sit at the lunch table and talk to the rest of the group. They were all talking about my brother.

"Man, Texas, I can't believe Curly's gonna be locked up half of summer," Tim sighs.
"He tried to rob an old lady," I remind him, "He deserved it."
Tim shrugs and continues to eat.
"This is so weird," Soda says, "The last week of sophomore year."
"Ew," I scrunch my nose, "Responsibilities."
"Hey, Y/N," Steve looks at me, "There's a morning shift open for store clerk at the DX. You'd work with Soda and me."

"Really? Sounds like fun." I smile.
"We'll drive you after school," Soda tells me.
"Can't wait," I say, "I've always wanted a job."
"Now you have one with your two favorite greasers!" Steve grins.
"I'm working with Johnny and Pony?" I tilt my head.
"Wow, okay, ouch," Soda touches his chest.

"Do you guys think I'll pass this year?" Two-Bit asks.
"You had me as a tutor, did you not?" I remind him.
"True," He nods.
"Hey, Johnny," I turn to him, "I notice you looking at Emily. Do you like her?"
"Emily?" Johnny looks at her, "No."
"Why not?" I ask, "You stare at her everyday."

"And sit next to her in science," Pony adds.
"She's just.. not my type," Johnny sighs.
"Oh," I tilt my head, "What about you, Two? How're things with you and Kathy?"
"She's just a good lay," He shrugs, "Nothing serious."
"Okay then," I roll my eyes, "Dally? You and Deborah seemed pretty close."
"She's dating Buck now," Dally squints.
"Um.. Soda? You always talk to that Donna girl whenever she's at the DX," I say.

"She's too clingy for my taste," Soda tells me.
"Steve?" I simply say.
"Tammy's too talkative," He responds.
"Pony?"
"Cynthia called me a hood."
"What about you? You've got a boyfriend?" Soda asks.
"Good one Soda," Dally laughs, "Like she's getting a boyfriend any time soon."
"Rude," I furrow my eyebrows.

"Is that Jesse Walker?" Tim looks behind me.
I turn around and see an unfamiliar boy with dark hair and browns eyes walking around the patio.
"Who's Jesse Walker?" I ask.
"This greaser without a gang. He says he's a 'loner' which is bullshit," Dally scoffs.
"He's also the guy who Sylvia cheated on Dally with," Johnny adds.
"And that," Dally nods.

"Guess he got out of the cooler," Steve says.
"Why's he back at school? There's less than a week left," Ponyboy says.
"To pick up more girls," Two-Bit snorts.
"Shoot, he's heading this way," Soda points out.
"Hey, greasers," Jesse smiles, "Who's the broad?"
"If I say my girlfriend, would you screw her too?" Dally rolls his eyes.

"Told ya, Winston," Jesse puts his hands up, "I didn't know you two were dating. Sylvia said she was single. I know better than to mess with you."
"You better," Dally glares at him.
"The broad is Y/N, by the way," I wave my hand in front of Dally's eyes, "Nice to meet ya."
"Like wise," Jesse smiles, "I assume none of these guys were brave enough to ask you out?"

"Oh, they just don't like me," I shrug, "It's not like they'd want to ask me out."
"I do," Jesse says, "How about we go to the Nightly Double this Friday night?"
I think for a second.
This guy seems genuine. But Dally doesn't like him. Then again, when have I trusted Dally's judgement?
"Uh.. sure?" I slowly nod, "Why not?"
"Cool, do you want me to pick you up or meet you there?" He asks.

"I'll just meet you there," I smile, "See you later."
"See you later," He repeats and walks off.
"Betrayal," Dally shakes his head, "How dare-"
"Don't start your bullshit," I groan, "Listen. If he's really as bad as you say he is, worst case scenario, he breaks my heart and leaves. It's not that big of a deal. Best case scenario, I finally have my second kiss."

"Hell. No," Two-Bit shakes his head.
"Really Two-Bit?" I raise an eyebrow, "Just because I'm blonde?/I'm not even blonde." (choose whatever you are)
"No, I agree," Soda nods, "You're too pure."
"Guys, I have to have a first date at some point," I remind them.
"I just don't like it being Jesse," Johnny says.
"I'll be fine, I promise," I sigh.

After school, Soda takes me to the DX and I have a quick interview. It was barely an interview because they said I had the job from the start. They said it started the second week of summer.
Friday night, I get ready for the date and walk to the Nightly Double. I meet Jesse at the entrance and we pay. We find seats and sit down.
"You look.. beautiful by the way," He compliments me.
"Thank you, you look handsome," I laugh, "If you don't mind me asking.. what's the deal with Dal?"

"Winston?" Jesse raises an eyebrow, "I.. hooked up with Sylvia thinking she was single. The next day, Winston storms in and fucks shit up. He was angry. Never let me explain what happened entirely."
"Oh, I'm sorry," I look at him, "Dally's not that open of a person. So when he finds someone he loves, he latches onto them. Protects them and they're his entire world. Like with Sylvia at the time. And Johnny."
"And you," Jesse adds.

"What? Dally doesn't love me," I shake my head, "Care about me, sure. But not love.."
"He looks at you similar to how he looks at Johnny, and looked at Sylvia. Only.. a little different," Jesse squints, "I think he love loves you."
"Dally doesn't- he wouldn't," I stammer, "It doesn't matter."
"Why not?" He asks.
"Because I'm here with you," I wink.
"She flirts!" Jesse laughs.

"She does," I nod.
The night goes great.
We hit it off instantly!
He takes me to his place and we.. kiss.
That's all we did though. He started to lift my shirt, and when I said I didn't want him to, he instantly stopped.
Shocker, right? A decent guys.
"Wow, respectful too?" I laugh.
"I know, I'm perfect," He jokes.

I kiss him again and we make out on his couch. I look at the time, and jump up.
"I should get home," I say.
"I'll drive you," He offers.
"Yes please!" I grin.
Jesse drives me home and drops me off. He waves goodbye and I go inside.
"Hey, you're late," Ted tells me, "It's three hours past curfew."
"Was that Dally?" Julia asks.
"No," I shake my head and go upstairs.

"What the?" Ted mumbles.
He and Julia follow me up to my room.
"Hey. You know we were worried sick," Julia scolds.
"Sorry," Is all I say.
"Hey, who was that boy?" Ted asks.
"His name's Jesse," I reply.
"And what were you doing that made you come home three hours late?" Julia raises her eyebrow.
"We just went to the movies, okay?" I tell them, "We missed the first movie, so we stayed around until the second showing."

"That took three hours?" Ted asks.
"Okay, maybe we went back to his place," I admit.
"And you did what?" Julia interrogates.
"All we did was kiss!" I roll my eyes.
"You went to this boy's house?!" Ted gasps, "To make out?!"
"That's it, young lady! You're grounded!" Julia tells me, "For a week!"
"What? I break curfew once and get grounded an entire week? Randy knocks up a girl and there's no punishment?!" I scoff.

"Do you wanna make it two?" Julia asks.
"I'm starting a job the second week of summer!" I tell them.
"Then better not push my buttons!" She raises her voice, "No going out with your friends! No parties, no dates, and no TV!"
She slams the door shut and I frown.
"Fuck you," I mumble under my breath.
I take a shower and get to bed, cuddling with Mickey.
I can't believe my one week without a job will be spent in my room.