Chapter Nine: Ready To Run

Two-Bit, Steve, and Dally go to a party.
Soda goes home, while Johnny, Ponyboy, and I go to the lot.
The three of us all fall asleep smoking and watching the stars.
Johnny and Pony talked while I just looked up into the sky. I felt my eyelids getting heavier and fell asleep soon.
In the middle of the night, Ponyboy wakes up and runs home. Johnny gets closer to me and we fall asleep again.

Less than half an hour later, Ponyboy shakes both Johnny and I awake.
"C'mon guys, we're running away," He tells us.
No matter, we all run. After a while we slow to a walk.
Ponyboy was crying by then. We take a break and sit on the curb.
"Take it easy, Pony," I put my hand on his thigh, "We'll be okay."

"Got a cigarette?" He asks.
I pull out a pack that I had stolen from earlier and hand out cigarettes.
Ponyboy and Johnny both take one and Pony hastily lights his.
"What happened?" Johnny asks, "You're scarin' me."
"Yeah, Pony. I never see you cry like this," I frown.
"Darry hit me," He says, "I don't know what happened. I just couldn't take it."

"I think I like it better when the old man's hitting me," Johnny sighs, "At least he knows I'm there."
"Hey, Johnnycake, you got the gang," I reassure him.
"Let's walk time the park and back," Ponyboy says, "Maybe by then I'll have cooled off."
We begin to make our way to the park.
When we get there, we all sit on an old swing set and finish our cigarettes.

We notice the blue mustang circling the park. After a while, they stop.
"What the hell is Bob doing here?" I ask.
"I don't know, but they're on the wrong side of town," Johnny furrows his eyebrows.
"Wanna run for it?" I ask.
"They're too close now," Johnny shakes his head.
Five socs including Bob and Randy stagger towards us. You could tell by the way they walked that they were drunk.

"Whatta y'know?" Bob slurs, "It's the socs who took Y/N as their pet."
"You're in our territory," Johnny steps in front of me, "You better watch it."
"Nuh, you're the one who needs to watch it, pal," Randy points to him, "Y'all took Y/N, then gave Bob a black eye."
"You guys are the ones who ignored me," I say.
"Yeah, but-"

"But? There are no buts," I push Johnny away, "You left me. You ignored me for months. You made me an outsider. So I obviously didn't wanna talk to you. And Steve punched Bob because he deserved it."
"You know what a greaser is, Y/N?" Bob steps up, inches from me, "White trash with greasy, long hair. Stick around with them any longer, and you'll get greasy too."
"You know what soc is?" Ponyboy pulls me closer to him, "White trash with mustangs and madras."

He spits on them and I hold in a laugh.
"You could use a bath, greaser," Bob wipes his face, "David, let's give him a bath."
Bob, Randy, and two other socs pull Ponyboy to the fountain, while the other starts fighting with Johnny.
I run to the fountain and try to get them off.
"You're gonna kill him!" I try to pull Bob off, but end up falling in too.
"Shit, Y/N," Bob curses, pulling me out.

"Get off me!" I shout, coughing on water.
"Y/N-" Bob begins, but he's cut short by screaming.
Johnny pulls a knife from the soc named David's back, and the rest of the socs scatter.
"J-Johnny," I stutter, walking to him.
The next thing I know, I'm comforting Johnny while Ponyboy regains consciousness.

"I killed him," Johnny cries, "I killed that boy."
Long story short, Pony throws up, and we go to Bucks to find Dally.
Johnny tells Dally what happened, and i snap out of it when Dally replies.
"Aw, shoot kid, I was in the bedroom."
"Why are you so red, Ponyboy?" I ask, noticing him blush, "He was just in the ro- OH!"
I cut myself off and blush myself.

"Man can your ears get red Ponyboy," Dally laughs, "It was nothing like that, kid. I just had to lay down after a fight- Hey, are you two wet?"
"Y-Y-Y-Y-Yes," Ponyboy stutters.
"Come in, man! Before you two die of pneumonia!" Dally pulls us inside.
We head upstairs and Dally hands Pony and I towels and oversized shirts.
"Their Buck's, big but dry," He says, leaving.

I turn around and take my wet shirt off. I dry off with the towel, and put of Buck's big shirt. I begin to button up the shirt, and Dally walks in.
"Damn, you outta take a swim in the fountain more often if this is the sight I get to see," He smirks.
I roll my eyes and finish buttoning the shirt.
Dally gives us instructions, "Hey, maybe you should stay. You could hide out here with me-"

"Nuh uh," I shake my head, "I'm going."
Dally sighs. He hands me his Christopher, and I put it on. He walks us out and we begin to walk, but he stops me.
"Hey, you sure you don't wanna stay?" He asks.
"I'll be fine, Dal," I assure him, "Don't worry."
"I won't worry," Dally rolls his eyes.
"I think you will," I smirk.

"No, I don't even care about you," He shrugs.
"I think you do," I push his buttons, "I think you looove me."
"Y/N. I don't," He grips my sleeve, "You're just some annoying kid-girl soc who was a tag-along because the guys felt sorry."
"Well fuck you, then," I tug my arm away from him and catch up with the guys, tears dripping down my face.
It was too dark to see, though.
Thus began the longest week of my life.