Chapter Ten: Hide-Out

The first day sucked. I wake up to Johnny and Ponyboy talking about their hair.
"Y/N, should we change our appearances?" Johnny asks, taking out peroxide and his old blade.
"You guys can, not me," I shake my head.
"No one's touching my hair."
"If she's not changing, then I'm not either," Ponyboy says.
"I'll bleach mine, if you bleach yours," I lie.

"Fine," he huffs.
Pony bleaches his whole head while I only bleach a couple strands. Johnny and Pony cut each other's hair while I sit back and laugh.
"Be quiet, or I'll cut yours too," Ponyboy huffs, and I pretend to zip my lips.
"At least you look hot," I shrug.
The next four... maybe five days? I don't know, but let me tell you, they were so boring. We read Gone With the Wind, played cards, and chased rabbits. I actually found a nest with cute little babies. They weren't baby-babies, so I stole one. Her name is Mickey. And we love each other.

One morning, we got up real early and watched the sunrise.
"Gorgeous, ain't it?" I sigh.
"All pretty, misty, silver, and gold, wish it'd stay that way," Johnny sighs.
"Nothing gold can stay," Ponyboys says.
"What?" Johnny asks.
"Nature's first green is gold, her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower, but only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf, so Eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down to day, nothing gold can stay," Ponyboy recites.

"Where'd you learn that? That's exactly what I meant," Johnny glares at him.
"It's a Robert Frost poem," I say.
The next morning I wake up early again to watch the sunrise with Mickey. I sit on the porch and play with Dally's necklace. I look up and see him.
"Hey," He says softly, sitting down. I stay silent. He looks where I'm looking, "Woah. That's... that's beautiful. I never knew they looked like that."

"Yeah, I love sunrises and sunsets. The clear night sky is pretty too. I could see all the stars out here," I smile.
"I don't think I've ever seen one.. Hey, you still got my Christopher..." Dally speaks up.
"Oh, y-yeah," I begin to take it off.
"Don't, it looks good on you," He tells me, "Plus, I want you to know that a part of me is always with you."
We sit in silence until the sun rises fully.

"You know, I missed you," I finally say.
"Yeah?" Dally smirks at me, "Don't tell the guys.. but I missed you too."
"Wait.. really?" I ask, "I thought I was just some annoying kid-girl soc who was a tag-along because you guys felt sorry.."
"How'd you remember the exact words?" Dally asks.
"I remember things that make me cry," I shrug.
"You cried?" Dally looks worried.

"Come on, let's wake the boys," I say, standing up.
"Hey, what's that?" Dally points to Mickey.
"My bunny," I say, "Her name's Mickey."
"Cute," Dally chuckles.
We walk unto the church.
"Glory, they sure look different with their hair like that," Dally laughs.
"Hey Dally!" Ponyboy smiles.
"Hey Ponyboy!" Dally grins down, "Or should I say sleeping beauty?"

He begins to ask a bunch of questions, but Dally takes us to eat first. Not before we all have a smoke at the church. Dally gave Ponyboy a note, and we both read it. Sodapop wrote about missing us and what's happening back at home. A rumble, and a search party by my parents. After a while of talking, two girls come up to us asking for change.
"I'm sorry, we have no money," I frown, "But here, take my fries and burger. Make sure to share, okay girls?"
"Thanks, lady!" The girls skip away gleefully.

Dally talked about a rumble with the Socs.
We decide to go back home that day, so we head back to Jay Mountain to grab our stuff.
When we get there, we see the church on fire.
I hop out, leaving Mickey in the back, and Dally curses under his breath.
"Jerry, some of the kids are missing!" A lady says.

Without hesitation I sprint towards the church. I take a huge rock and bust a window in, I slammed the rock against the edges so I don't cut myself.
"Hiya, Y/N," Johnny says with a sly grin.
He's quickly followed by Ponyboy.
I run to the back where the screaming was and pushes the door open. I opened a window and immediately helped kids get out.

"It's okay, it's okay," I hush, the kids stop screaming.
With the three of us, it only took about twenty seconds to get the five kids out. I let Ponyboy and Johnny get out first, before leaving last. But as I'm about to leave, a piece of roof fell on my foot and I start screaming for help. I see a tall figure hop through the window before blacking out.