Partner

Rose

I'd woken up with a pounding headache. These nightmares wouldn't leave me and sleep wasn't really relaxing to me. It was torture.

I was so used to being abused that now that I was safe my mind was trying to find ways to keep it going.

I left my room after I had taken a shower and changed searched for Nate.

I was slowly getting used to him. He was a really positive person unlike everyone else I've met the past years of my life.

I heard noise from coming from the living room and went to check. It seemed like many people were there.

I saw Nate standing in front of the door hugging some children that were here. Two of them were twin boys and there was a lady standing holding a cute little girl.

Did he have a family all along?

I started feeling really bad. I felt like a burden now and I needed to get away immediately. Just as I was about to turn away I heard the lady speak.

"Hello there" She said. She was really beautiful and it made me feel guilty and insecure.

I shouldn't get in between them. I shouldn't bother them.

She entered the apartment as Nate closed the door holding the two boys. Strangely though, no child looked like him. The boys had dark hair and grey eyes and the girl looked like the mom.

"I am Serenity" She said with a big bright smile holding out her hand.

Why does she seem so happy? Is she even informed that I've been staying here?

"R-Rose, nice to meet you" I said quietly and shook her hand.

"Nate has told me a lot about you" She said and I saw Nate switching his gaze to us.

He talked about me to his wife? Okay this is getting weird now.

"My husband and Nate are best friends"

Oh

I felt a lot better now. Like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

"I just needed Nate to watch over the babies for a little while if that's okay with you too" She said with a chuckle fiddling her fingers.

"Of course" I smiled back at her.

"Thank you very much guys. Bye!" She said and left the apartment after kissing and hugging her children.

Nate was now sitting on the couch, the two boys in front of him and the baby next to him. The boys were talking excitedly about their days and Nate was carefully listening to them.

"Uncle Nate who is that?" One of the boys asked.

"Do you want to meet her?" He asked smiling at me.

"She looks pretty" the boy said. The other one seemed way more quiet. I looked down and chuckled nervously.

"I agree" Nate said and I felt his eyes on me but didn't dare look at him. It was probably my imagination. "Come here" he told me. "Do you want to hold the baby?" He asked.

I smiled at that instantly, "Of course" I said and carefully took her in my arms. The baby had a strange look on her face. It looked like she was studying me and I was just hoping she wouldn't cry. I loved babies and I hated it when they cried, it made my heart hurt.

"So Aidan since you asked this is Rose, Rose this is Aidan and Alexander and that's Belle" He said.

Alexander and Aidan were identical twins and it was hard to tell them apart, but I made a note to tell them apart by their clothes for now.

"And why is she here" Alexander asked.

Wait that's Alexander right?

"Because I am helping her" Nate explained.

"With what?" He asked again.

"With uh homework. Just like I help you two" He said scratching the back of his neck. I couldn't help but laugh at that.

The baby started whining and wiggling out of my arms so I let her down to play and she started walking around holding the furniture. Her brothers kept bugging her and trying to annoy her which seemed really cute. She mimicked their movements and they seemed really close.

I was coloring with Belle as the boys were taking a nap. They had spent all their energy playing and running around and had fallen asleep next to each other.

I felt a presence next to me. I turned and saw Nate towering over me. He was down on his knees like me but he was really tall and big.

"Hey I just wanted to say sorry about that. I understand if you're annoyed or-"

"Are you kidding me? I love babies" I said smiling at him.

"You're really good with them too" He said.

"Thank you" I whispered. "You seem really good with them too" I told him.

"Eh they may like me but I wouldn't really be a good dad" He said smiling.

"Why's that?"

"I'm not a responsible person"

"I don't think it's like that. I mean I don't know you that well but from what you've done for me I can tell you are a responsible person. Even if you're not, your partner will be if you choose wisely"

There was a small pause and then he turned to look at me and winked with a smirk.

"Want to be my partner?"

I laughed and pushed him lightly, "You're silly" I said as he laughed along.

A little while after Serenity came and took the kids thanking us. After that me and Nate made some dinner and ate together.

It was a tiring day so I went to sleep early. Nate said he would stay up for a little bit more as he wasn't sleepy.

I got under the covers feeling cold and closed my eyes letting sleep take me.
After that I went to the kitchen to drink some water and noticed a note on the counter.

I saw a number written there and the note said

Srry, sumthing came up. If u need anything at all call me right away.

He must have realy been in a hurry if he was writing like this. I can barely make out the handwriting.

I got a little curious wondering where he could be but shrugged it off and went back to sleep.