Chapter 20: I'm Fine

(Trigger warning)
I'm going to start doing this when chapters are dark.

No one's POV

The whole area around them turned as cold as death, like some kind of dark aura was holding them hostage. Some kind of dark power that tested their will of strength.

Stain panted like a dog, exhausted and worn. Now that the adrenaline rush was over and his body was calm, the poison in his system was starting to take its full affect.

"Endeavor...," Stain said as his mask fell off like water and he drooled like a dog at the poison.

"Hero killer!" Endeavor yelled as he charged up his fire.

"What, Todoroki!" Gran Torino yelled as he turned to Endeavor.

Stain finally found his bearings and stood up fully. He turned and faced the small crowd in front of him and let go of Midoriya.

Midoriya's eyes went wide with fear, and Kuro's brows furrowed as her mouth went open.

"You false hero," Stain started as the aura intensified, I'll make this right. These streets must run with the blood of hypocrites," He took a few small steps forward.

"Hero! I will reclaim the word! Come on! Just try and stop me, you fakes!" Stain said as he stood defensively.

Kuro's eyes narrowed in anger and she let go of the bow string. She knew she was giving away her position but something had to be done. Her act would possibly start something in the heroes and they might do something.

Stain caught the arrow that had been aimed for his leg and threw it aside. The heroes present didn't even give Kuro a glance up as the biggest threat was right in front of them.

"There is only one man I'll let kill me. He is a true hero. All Might is worthy!" Stain let the aura take over the street.

One of the heroes fell back on her back.

Midoriya stayed grounded, the pressure holding him down.

Gran Torino couldn't move.

Endeavor took a step back.

Kuro slowly formed another arrow and pulled back the string.

And then it all stopped.

Stain stood as statue as his eyes went to a milky white and his body went rigid. He motionless and still. Drool pooled out of his open mouth as a bloodied knife lay still on the ground.

"I think," Endeavor broke the silence, "he's out cold."

Everyone could finally breath... but no one's eyes moved from the figure that still stood in front of them.

Iida and Todoroki fell back, finally free of the overwhelming pressure.

No one moved for a long time, but they weren't held captive by Stain's aura. They didn't move because they were shocked.

Kuro lowered her bow and let the arrow disappear. She stood up from her crouching position on the roof without making a sound, and walked away with her head low in respect.

She knew what happened the moment it did, or at least she had a hypothesis. Kuro saw that Stain's aura disappeared while he was in the middle of talking. That meant that either the poison finally kicked in and knocked him out, one of Midoriya and Iida's attacks that he acquired earlier must have pierced an organ on the inside, or a mix of the two.

But Kuro knew he was still alive.

She could sense a still beating heart from anywhere, albeit it was faint.