Chapter 23: Watcher

??? POV

I was floating.

The water was cold.

Cold and dark, and it surrounded me like a blanket.

The current only pushing me slightly as I sank deeper.

I didn't fight back as my head began to ache with loss of breath.

But before I passed out I opened my eyes.

Although, instead of the light of the surface, when I opened my eyes I saw something worse.

I opened my eyes and I wasn't in the water anymore. I was instead out in a field, wearing a green flowing summer dress with a cord for a belt and a sun hat on my head.

Long hair flowed down my back and stopped in the middle. An auburn color that seemed crimson in the hot sun.

My arms and legs were bare, showing a large number of scars. Scars of all sizes and shapes.

The grass was as green as emeralds and the flowers littered the ground like sand, beautiful and sweet under my bare feet.

There were a few weeping willows by a small quaint house a little ways off. Their long rope like vines fell to the ground and swayed in the gentle wind.

The sky was clear and only a few clouds were present. White and fluffy as they too moved with the wind. The sun was bright and warm.

But for the little girl in front of me, it looked cruel.

She wore a simple shirt, white and plain. And she had brown shorts on. She had blue running shoes that seemed a bit muddy.

On her chest was a leather archers chest guard that covered half of her chest and her left shoulder before the leather strap went around and tied in the back.

There was a layer of sweat that matted her forehead and she panted in the heat as she held up a bow with an arrow in the shelf and shot the target in front of her. It hit the middle.

"Keep shooting!" A man suddenly made his presence known, "You have to be perfect! I want my boss to know I wasn't lying when I said you would be useful to us!"

The girl looked over with half lidded eyes.

Scars and bruises littered her arms and legs in many sizes and colors. Some burn scars, some ice burns, others looked like scars from incisions by blades and what looked like other cruel weapons.

Phantom pain covered my limbs and I hugged myself in fear.

The little girl shakily brought the bow back up and looked at the target.

The arrow hit the first and split it.

It went though and into the target's base.

The man smiled and looked at the girl. It wasn't a happy smile. It wasn't a comforting smile.

It was evil.

The man knew what he was doing to her.

He knew his wife and older daughter had no idea what was happening.

The man took a step towards the tired little girl and said girl took a step back in fear. The bow was canceled and the arrows stayed where they were.

The man began to get closer to her, his voice was like gravel and sounded the opposite of kind.

"Sora"