Chapter 17

Emilia Ellis

I didn't want to explain anything to him knowing he wouldn't understand what I was talking about. I kept quiet about that topic and focus on eating, again.

He knows I was avoiding the topic and didn't push me, further.

After dinner, he followed me to the library. I don't know how long he's planning to stay here. I sat rather uncomfortably on the couch with one of my reading book due to my back.

"Why are sitting so awkwardly?" He asked me after sometime.

"What you mean?"

"I noticed in the car, during dinner and now? Are you okay?" He asked.

"Why won't I be?" I asked. He walked towards me gracefully, but quickly.

"What are you doing?" I asked standing up.

"Did you get hurt?" He snapped at me and I was surprised by his tone and I think he realized that too and his eyes widened and I took couple of steps back towards the door. I should have stayed in the living room instead of bringing him, here.

"I'm sorry." He apologized and stood where he was standing. He was looking at me very cautiously.

"Get out." I whispered.

"Emilia." He started.

"Please. I'm tired." I pleaded to him.

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay." He whispered.

"I am okay." I said to him. "Why are you so worried about that?"

He looked at me for sometime and shake his head, "I don't know." He said. "I have never had this overwhelming feeling of protecting someone." His answer surprised me. "This feeling is new to me." He blinked his eyes.

"You don't have to worry about me.. we are strangers after all." I pointed out.

He laughed, a disbelief laugh and it made me winced internally.

"Strangers." He repeated. "I guess you are right." I can see hurt in his face. "Why am I even wasting my time worrying or getting bothered about strangers." 

This time, I was hurt by his comment, but I couldn't blame him. I was the one who provoked him and hurt him in the first place.

"Is that why you don't have any friends? You like pushing people away, don't you?" He asked looking at me and I glared at him.

"Are you afraid your staffs will report this to your brothers?I know they despise me." He give me a challenging look.

"I'm not obligated to answer any of that questions." I said, but honestly I really didn't want anyone to report anything to my brothers. They will give me earful and I hated that. I know they are worried about me, but I feel too suffocated, trying to be the good daughter, good sister who must keep up with good listening and behaviour.

"Why are you allowing them to control your life?" He walked towards me.

"Stay where you are." I warned and he stopped right in front of me.

"Don't you feel frustrated?" He give me a sympathetic look. "You want to do something, but what is stopping you?"

"Don't." I hiss at him.

"You don't have to tell me, but be honest with yourself." He said. "Do what makes you happy and don't worry about me or the others."

I have no idea how we came to this topic. "Can you please leave?" I asked, frustrated.

"I'm here if you want to talk to someone or if you want to hang out with someone." He said and left something on the table. Before he left, he turned around and said, "You deserve to be happy and I hope you will find happiness, soon."

He left after that and I was left dumbfounded by his words. I used icepack for my bruise and tried to apply cream on it. I had a very uncomfortable sleep and was very tired the next couple of days and almost took a day off from work today, but I had responsibilities and works to complete.

Having lack of sleep makes me very cranky, but I hope it doesn't come in my way of work. I like how Leslie is very tidy and organize at her work. I found my whole month's schedule in my iPad and was able to figure out my day. For lunch, I asked for delivery rather than going out. I'm not sure if I should go out by myself. I seemed to have lost my appetite,today as I looked at the food in front of me. I skipped breakfast as well and made an excuse of having a breakfast meeting today. I feel guilty for talking rudely to Chase who spoke nothing wrong, apart from being a little out of line.

I called Leslie, but she didn't pick up her phone and left a voice mail just checking on her. I hope she is fine.

By the end of the day, I was completely exhausted and was ready to go home- I found out I have a staff dinner today. I still have to go and socialize for maybe half an hour and then I can leave. We were at a barbecue place, something my brothers would have despise due to smoke surrounding the place. They never would let me go to places like this when I was young.

I know the staffs was uncomfortable with my presence, but I'm suppose to be here even just for a moment. Some of them tried to crack some jokes or at least tried to have a conversation and I tried to keep up the conversation, but it turned awkward. I have no idea how to continue conversation that is not related to work. I'm horrible at having conversation outside work.

We grilled some meats and clink our glasses that was filled with pops. I know, they want me to leave so,that they can release their stresses by drinking. I excused myself after exactly half an hour and handed my card to Mr. G, who is the manager.

"Please order yourself some drinks." I said. "I have another appointment." I lied and I can see relief washed on their faces.

Jace was waiting for me outside the restaurant.

"You wish to stop by anywhere?" He asked and I thought- now or never.