Chapter 22

Emilia Ellis

"No." He said shaking his head. "I didn't find anything funny, but rather I found it amusing."

"But the woman was mad.." I remembered.

"Who?"

"The one who you went with or was with when we met at the bridge."

He winced when I said that and I guess I shouldn't have brought that topic up, so I quickly change the topic. "It's late." I said looking at the clock on the wall. Where did the time even go? It was already eleven-thirty pm.

"I will get going. I will see you tomorrow though." He said. "Seven pm, okay?" He smiled.

"Okay." I smiled back.

"I think we made quite a progress today.."

"I think so too." I said.

"You should smile more." He said. "You have a beautiful smile and a laugh. It's okay to loosen up a bit at times." He reassured. "Can I give you a hug before I go?"

Without saying any word, I give him one. My arms wrapped around him as I give him a tight hug. "Thank you for everything. I really appreciated your kindness and patience with me."

"Thank you for having faith and trust in me." He said hugging me back.

I went to bed with a very relaxed mindset and smiled at the thought of spending time with him tomorrow and that's when reality hit me hard and I realized I was developing feelings for him. I don't know when it started, but all I know was I have feelings for him and I was panicking now. I have never ever fell this exciting feelings of spending something with anyone after my teenage years which was while back. I'm scared and horrified, why it have to be him of all the people in the world. I kind of started considering him as my friend and I think he doesn't really go out with people and there is a high chance he will reject me and then it will be awkward between us and then what?

I have to stop this whatever feelings from escalating, but will my heart allow me to?

I couldn't sleep after that thought and tossed and turned the whole night. I woke up before the alarm and decided to text Chase, that if we can do this plan next weekend. I know I was running from my problems, again. I'm scared about my feelings for him and scared that I will do something stupid that I will regret later.

"Why?" He texted back.

"Something came up." I texted. "Sorry about that."

He didn't reply to my text and I sighed in relief. I don't want him to go all persuasive things on me, again. I doubt I will be able to say no to him and after realizing how my heart betrayed me it will be impossible to say no to him.

I fell asleep after that. My eyes fluttered open and I looked at the clock and sighed. It was noon already and I sat up and stretched and had a small fright when I see Chase sitting on the couch with his leg stretched and looking comfortable, he was reading a book. He looked handsome in a dark blue jeans, black turtle neck shirt with a loose white button up shirt that was undone with grey stripes on it. His hair was pushed back, but some fell on his handsome face.

"What are you doing here?" I screamed at him as I tried to calm myself down.

"Well, I was worried about someone and decided to come and check on her, but I guess she was doing all good." He said.

"I didn't sleep until 6:00 am."

"What was bothering you?" He asked coming towards me.

"Don't know." I said and got up from the bed and walked to the walk in closet to grab my outfits.I was avoiding him and I think he knows that too.

"What's wrong?" He asked following me.

"I'm going to get ready." I said and pick my outfits and walked to the washroom. I took my time before coming out of the washroom.

"Are you avoiding me?" He asked as soon as I came out.

"No." I lied. I was definitely avoiding him. "I'm hungry,did you eat yet?" I asked and turned towards the door.

He pulled me back my wrist and turned me around and his piercing grey eyes stared at me. "What is bothering you?"

"Nothing." I mumbled looking away. "I'm tired." I rubbed my eyes. He sighed and dropped his hand back to his side.

"We'll eat and go for a walk." He announced and I know it was not a good idea to reject that offer,again. We ate quietly our lunches. He's here so often now and I think the staffs are curious about our relationship.

The sun was out, but it was a little chilly. Chase made me wear a puffy jacket and a scarf to keep myself warm. He said it was chilly outside.

We both started walking around the quiet neighbourhood. I hardly see anyone in the neighbourhood, every now and there a car passes by, but hardly anyone walking.

"Why did you sleep so late?" He started. I don't want to have that talk now.

"I had to do some work."

He shake his head, "You have to give time for yourself." He was disappointed. "I know you love your jobs and I know you like working, but you should give time for yourself and the things you love."

"I know." I grimaced lightly.

"You have to promise me, weekend is the time you will explore other activities apart from work. You can work, but maybe for like two hours or three but not more than that."

"Not sure it will work, but let's see."

We walked to the Main Street, took us like twenty minutes or so..

"Let's have some dessert, Does ice cream sounds good for you?"

"Yes, sounds good to me."I said, not sure where he was going.

"Come." He said. "I know a good place over here."

We walked for five more minutes and reached the ice cream store,that was half filled. Not sure why he wanted to have cold things, when it's already cold outside.

"You should try ice cream with their waffle cone. It's delicious." He suggested.

In truth, I have never had ice cream in a cone before.Mrs. Hubbard, my etiquette teacher would frown upon that idea. She said we shouldn't have ice cream in a cone as it doesn't look nice when it drips all over you.

He saw my hesitant look and ask the person to give the cone on side.

"Actually, I would like to have the ice cream in a cone." I said.