"i really am special, huh?"

chapter two: i really am special, huh?

SATURDAY MORNING. I woke up knowing I was surrounded with bright light and my eyes hesitated to flutter open, but did so anyway. I closed my eyes as I turned away from the light, and was surprised when my hand came in contact with something other than an empty space beside me.

I opened my eyes again, this time feeling less pain despite the brightness of the room, and I felt a wave of chills rush through my body as I saw the boy who was asleep beside me.

I hadn't just had a really elaborate dream the night before—I was in bed with Luke Hemmings.

My head began to fill with a jumble of thoughts as I tried to decide whether I should leave, but it hadn't been longer than a minute or two when Luke started to move. I immediately decided to act as if I were sleeping, and became still as I waited for something to happen.

I heard a small, content laugh and then felt Luke's body come closer to me. I stayed still as Luke brought his hand up to my cheek and tucked a strand of loose hair behind my ear. The action caused my stomach to flutter and I tried to keep myself from smiling at the gesture.

A couple of seconds later, it was clear that Luke had decided to get up, and that he was doing so with as much caution as he could. It was sweet that he was trying to keep from waking me up. Once I could tell he was off the bed, I peeked as subtly as I could to see him walking to an open door that looked like his closet. He disappeared inside and I fully opened my eyes as I looked at my surroundings. In the natural light, I could tell that Luke's place was nice.

Not that I was expecting any different.

"She's awake." I jumped at the sound of Luke's voice, but laughed quietly as I overcame my initial feeling of being startled.

"Yeah... she is. I, uh—I suppose I should get going." I started to look over the side of Luke's bed for any of my clothing, but could barely remember what I had worn the night before.

"You don't have to leave yet," Luke said as he tossed me something. "Would you want breakfast, maybe?"

"Oh, that's sweet, but you don't have to—"

"I'll make us something." Luke flashed me a smile before walking out of the room. I looked at the fabric in my hands to see the shirt that Luke had worn the night before and I chuckled quietly. I slipped it over my head before getting off of his bed.

Instead of deciding to give the effort of putting on my jeans, I decided to leave his room wearing his shirt and my underwear. I walked out of the door to his room and looked left then right.

"Luke?" I called out, loud enough for him to hear.

"Yeah?" Suddenly, Luke's head peeked around a corner to my left, and I started making my way over to him.