"might mess around and fall in love"

chapter twenty-five: might mess around and fall in love

(this is a shorter chapter but wholesome content lies ahead !!)

luke's pov

SUNDAY MORNING. I woke up earlier than I normally would on a weekend. I was starting to think Josie was rubbing off on me, but I couldn't complain. I felt refreshed in a way I hadn't felt in awhile and that was surprising because I had stayed at Josie's place for so long the night before.

I was so relieved that I had such a good time hanging out with Josie and her friends; they made spending time together easy, and they had a very comfortable energy. I was really glad that Josie had invited me and I genuinely hoped I would be able to spend more time with them.

After getting out of bed and making myself coffee, I couldn't stop thinking about the one person that had been occupying my mind. It was about nine, so I assumed Josie would be up. Just to annoy her and get my daily Jos dose, I dialed Josie's number and put the call on speakerphone as I sat down on my couch.

"Hello?" Josie answered on the fourth ring and sounded exhausted. Thinking back to how she had been the morning before, I was afraid I woke her up.

"Fuck me, did I wake you up?" I asked quietly which caused Josie to laugh.

"Yes, you did, but I don't understand what that has to do with our sex life." I laughed as Josie sleepily joked with me and smiled at the sound of her tired laugh. "What's up?"

"I thought you'd be awake, I just wanted to bother you," I told her, hoping she wouldn't be upset with me. "I can let you go, though. You should sleep."

"No, it's okay," she told me through a yawn. "I really don't know what's going on with me this weekend. I've been so tired."

"Are you feeling okay?" I asked her, hoping she wasn't getting sick.

"Other than feeling tired, I'm fine," she assured me. "God, I would kill for one of your omelets right now."

"Want me to come over?" I half-joked with her, but was more than willing to do so. There was nothing I would rather do than spend time with Josie. She had become the best part of my day and thinking about going a day without seeing her sort of made me sad.

Fuck, I thought. I needed to watch myself before I fell any further. I was basically asking to be hurt at this point.