"why do we always get sappy in the mornings?"

chapter forty-four: why do we always get sappy in the mornings?

luke's pov

THURSDAY MORNING. I woke up feeling particularly tired and just as I was about to stretch out, I found myself entangled with the girl beside me. My eyes landed on Josie's face as she slept peacefully and I smiled as butterflies swarmed my stomach.

I looked over my shoulder, at the alarm clock next to my bed, to see that it was nearing six-thirty. I hated that I would have to wake her up soon—both because I knew she hated being woken up and because I wished she could stay beside me forever.

I leaned forward and placed a gentle kiss against her forehead before hugging her into my chest a little tighter.

Recently, it was hard for me to think of anything but Josie. I hadn't even finished packing for tour, because I was too busy worrying that it would take away from the time I had left with her. I also couldn't stop thinking about how unexpected all of this was.

When I saw Josie at that club, I had high hopes that she'd be in my life for more than just a night, but only because I had been horny to have some fun for the remainder of the summer. I had no intentions of catching any sort of feelings—I had actually promised myself that I wouldn't dare do such a thing, but after only one night with her, I knew I fucked up.

Josie wasn't the kind of girl you could simply let go of, at least not in my eyes. Josie was someone you got the pleasure of being with, and I would be ignorant if I didn't at least take the opportunity of possibly being with her for a long time.

As I looked down at the girl in my arms, who I had become so fond of and had fallen so hard for, I wished her to be mine more than anything. She had become my every thought, my every reason why, and my every expectation. I couldn't imagine my life without her—I couldn't imagine going through the process of finding someone else if she were to ever give up on me.

Josie began to move in her sleep, letting out a couple of mumbles, and I smiled as I observed her. She often talked in her sleep, but only incoherent statements ever slipped from her mouth.

I brushed a couple of stray strands of her hair from her face and placed another kiss on her forehead, but this time I watched as she seemed to react to my touch. The corner of her lips curled and I smiled at the sight.

Knowing it would most likely take ten whole minutes to get her up and out of bed, I decided it was time to complete my least favorite daily task.

"Jos," I whispered as I pushed myself up on one elbow, using my other hand to caress her cheek. "Jos, baby—wake up," I said a little louder, while still staying soft, just before placing a kiss on her cheek. She began to mumble as she tried to roll over and I laughed quietly at her actions. "Jos, if you want breakfast, you'll have to get up soon."