"can't get rid of me"

chapter twenty-six: can't get rid of me

(my a/n is mainly about blm — i love you all)

MONDAY MORNING. On my way to work, I got a text from Tony telling me that she needed me to come see her once I got to the office. As I parked my car, I sent Emma a text about where I would be and asked her to say a prayer for me. I was terrified to talk to Tony.

I walked into the office after hyping myself up for five minutes and went straight to Tony's office. Her door was open, so I gently knocked as I peeked my head in.

"Sit," Tony said while she was typing on her computer; she seemed tired and displeased. My heart rate increased as I stepped inside and I could hear my heartbeat in my ears as I sat down across from her. She put a finger up to signal that she'd be with me in a minute.

I could tell that Tony was upset over whatever it was she was typing out. She was typing intensely and I felt my eyes widen as I watched her jaw clench as she continued.

All I wanted to do was run away.

Her typing came to an end and she clicked a couple of times with her mouse before turning to me. I was prepared to be fully yelled at, but instead Tony sprouted a smile.

"Your article was phenomenal." Immediately, I felt all my anxiety leave and my shoulders felt about fifty pounds lighter. "It was sweet, it was thoughtful, it was incredibly well written... I'm obsessed. I applaud you, sincerely."

"...Thank you," I said after a pause. I could hardly believe any of those words had left her mouth; I was having trouble processing.

"If he reads it, I think Luke will love it. I am seriously impressed, Josie. I know you've written plenty of times at this point, but this completely changed my understanding of your talent. This has been your month and I spent all weekend trying to think of how to properly reward you for all the work you've done." I refrained from letting my jaw drop. "I know you still have your senior year to finish, so I know your availability will change in the fall, but I recall you telling me about graduating early?"

"Yes, uh—I should be graduated by the new year. I only have three more classes to take, so my in-office availability will change, but I'll still have plenty of time to edit."

"What if you became a head writer?" My eyes widened at Tony's suggestion. "Right now we only have three, and if our company grows in the ways we are hoping for, we're going to need more talent. I'm also interested in expanding the channel's content... I think we should maybe give you your own segment."