"double feature"

chapter ten: double feature

this is a lil rough ... but here we go

 but here we go

FRIDAY NIGHT. I was sitting in front of the mirror in my room, staring at myself in the reflection after finishing a very minimal makeup look. I was due at Luke's apartment in the next ten minutes.

Despite playing my music semi-loudly, I heard the door to my apartment close, which surprised me. I was guessing that Madalyn was swinging by to pick something up because she had told me she was staying at Howie's place.

I got up from my chair and started to pack up a few things; it was the first time I was going over to Luke's knowing that I'd be staying the night. I figured I'd at least treat myself to a fresh pair of clothes, my own toothbrush, and—as a treat—my face wash.

"You're still here?" Madalyn suddenly peeked her head into the room and I jumped, but began to laugh at myself.

"Yeah, I'm leaving in a couple of minutes. Are you not going to Howie's?"

"Howie's in the living room," she told me and I couldn't help but widen my eyes. I hadn't seen Howie since last Friday—I didn't know how interacting with him would go, especially since I knew he'd probably want to chat about my week. "He doesn't know your plans, I promise I didn't tell him."

"Well... where else would I be going, Mads?" I asked her, knowing that Howie would have no reason to believe I was going to be out all night for any other reason than to see someone. Which wasn't something I would normally do. It was clear that Madalyn hadn't thought about it, but I wasn't necessarily upset about telling Howie—I just didn't have the time to talk about it.

Part of me was really beginning to think I needed to confess to Luke how many people knew about us.

"I just wanted a change in scenery, I hadn't thought about having an excuse for you not being home—"

"It's okay," I told her, laughing quietly as I dismissed it. I grabbed the bag I had packed and I led us both out of the room, walking past Madalyn. I walked into the living room and Howie glanced up from his phone, ending up doing a double take as he saw me.

"Hey! Look who it is," Howie said, smiling wide as he saw me. He stood up and we walked toward each other; he wrapped his arms around me and I hugged him back. "Where are you off to?" Howie asked as he pulled away.

"Uh—" I hesitated to be honest with him. "Let's cut to the chase, okay? I know Mads told you about the Luke Hemmings thing—"

"Wait, that's ongoing?" I bit my lip and nodded slowly. "Shit, Jo... that's kinda legendary." My eyes rolled at his terminology, but I laughed off my slight annoyance. "The things I'd let that man do to me..." I laughed loudly at Howie's statement and glanced at Madalyn to see her playfully rolling her eyes, clearly amused by him. "Maddy did tell me that you told him the story of us saying 'I love you' for the first time."