"did you dress up for me?"

chapter eight: did you dress up for me?

TUESDAY EVENING. As I sat in my car in the parking lot of Luke's apartment, I began to have the smallest of freakouts.

What was I doing? What had I gotten myself into? Although I still fully believed that there was no way I could possibly catch feelings for Luke, what if something happened that allowed for this decision to hurt me in the grand scheme of things? 

The longer I waited in my car, the more I felt like I should just text Luke that we were making a bad decision and leave. I didn't know if I felt morally opposed to the idea of having this kind of relationship, or if I felt strange about it being with someone of Luke's status. I had only just started thinking it could be a bad idea but wasn't sure what was actually making me hesitant.

With a change of perspective, I started to think about how I was a woman with needs... and how it wasn't so bad that Luke Hemmings was the one that currently wanted to fulfill them. There was nothing wrong with sleeping with someone, and I genuinely enjoyed Luke's presence. We could talk without it being awkward and I felt as though we would become closer as we carried on.

There was no rule book that said Luke and I would have to lose contact once he left. We could become close friends after all this... and we'd be having plenty of fun in the process of doing so.

After convincing myself I wasn't going to regret going upstairs to Luke's apartment, I got out of my car and started walking to the doors of his building after locking my car.

Barely five minutes had passed before I was in front of his door and raising my hand to knock. Luke had told me to just come over once I was off work, so I hadn't texted him I was here. I was suddenly worried that I should have given him a head's up, but I figured it wouldn't be a big deal and finally let my knuckles tap against the wood.

"I'll get it." I heard a voice that wasn't Luke's and my eyes widened. I thought about making a run for the elevator, but the door opened within seconds. "Josie?"

"Calum!" I said, surprised to see Luke's bandmate. "Uh—hey."

"What are you doing here?" Calum asked, laughing through his confusion.

"Oh, Josie!" Luke said, rushing up behind Calum. "Sorry, Cal... I forgot she was coming over to grab her wallet. She left it last night." I was incredibly thankful for Luke's quick thinking and I began to nod at his words, trying to convince Calum that Luke was telling him the truth. I took in Luke's appearance and smiled to myself; he simply looked good. I was beginning to learn that he always did. "You can come in... I'll go grab it." I stepped inside and Luke left the two of us by the door. I was guessing Luke was going to hand me his own wallet, which hopefully Calum wouldn't pick up on.

"It's good to see you again," Calum told me with a smile as he closed the door behind us.

"You too," I told him, smiling as well. "You guys will be back in the office tomorrow, won't you?"