"we've changed, lu"

chapter forty-six: we've changed, lu

heads up! this chapter is LONG !!

THURSDAY AFTERNOON. I tapped my foot impatiently as I looked down at the bottom of my computer screen, thinking the time couldn't pass any slower. All I wanted was to be free from the confines of my office, but I still had near an hour left before I could leave. 

I was itching to see Luke—I had barely heard from him today, so I was hoping to call him the second I got to my car. We hadn't made a set plan for today—it was the only day we had sort of glazed over—and I was worried that something had come up for Luke. I would survive if I didn't see him, but I wouldn't have fun in the process. 

"Jo," Emma whined from her side of the office, causing me to jump in surprise. "Your tapping is driving me insane—what's up?"

"Oh..." I looked down at my foot and forced it to stop—I had barely noticed how fidgety I was. "Nothing, everything's good." I sent Emma a smile, but she eyed me suspiciously. Emma had been painfully busy the last couple of days, so I had barely talked to her at all. I didn't know how things with Ashton were, and she hadn't gotten any updates from me about Luke.

"Jo," she warned, almost to say that if I didn't tell her something that she'd somehow punish me for it. "C'mon, I've never seen you so distracted. It's like you've not even been here the last couple of days."

"And you're just now asking me about that?" I inquired, finding it strange that she would've been worried, but not enough to ask me sooner. She let out a sigh before fully turning her chair toward me.

"I've been a little distracted myself," she said, which I deemed as fair—even if I didn't know entirely what she was referencing, I had an idea. "How is he?" she asked, as if she knew it was Luke that was on my mind.

"He's... really great," I told her as a smile stretched across my face, but as soon as it was there, it was gone. "Which almost sucks more."

"Right?" Emma exclaimed in frustration and I found myself amused that we were going through such similar things, yet we hadn't thought to confide in one another about how we were feeling. "I swear, this last week with him has been perfect... and for what? Just to really rub it in my face that my dream guy is leaving me for months on end? That's fucked."

"I know!" I exclaimed, physically lifting my arms to emphasize how frustrating it was to be going through this. "God—I've spent every second outside of this place with him and I still can't get enough of him. It's honestly revolting that I'm so attached." Emma's face broke out into a smile and my eyebrows furrowed. "What? Emma, we're supposed to be angry."

"Hearing you talk about Luke like that makes me happy! I'm sorry, I can't help it. Ashton and I talk about the two of you constantly—"

"You told Ashton about us?"