"i think i'm finally getting it"

chapter forty: i think i'm finally getting it

thinkin' ab Him ^

SUNDAY MORNING. My eyes fluttered open as I heard the sound of quiet voices coming from somewhere near. I started to turn in my bed, expecting to cuddle into Luke's chest. We hadn't expected to spend the night together last night, but after being away from each other for about three hours yesterday, I ended up inviting him over. 

After turning into an empty bed, my eyes flew open. I pushed myself up as I began to stretch and my eyebrows furrowed as I looked around my room. I grabbed my phone from my nightstand and was surprised to see it was nearing ten. I really wasn't one to sleep in later than eight, but I did find that sleeping next to Luke made me appreciate sleep a lot more.

"I'll miss our morning talks once you're gone, you know." I listened closely as I heard Madalyn's voice and I smiled to myself as I imagined her talking with Luke. "I never thought I'd wake up to Luke Hemmings making my best friend coffee in the mornings... but I'm glad I've been able to start getting used to it."

"I would say that I'll be back soon enough for you to get your fill, but... I guess you won't be here once I'm back." I bit my lip gently at Luke's words and plopped back down onto my bed, face first into my pillows as I continued to listen. "I'll miss these talks, too." There was silence for a long while before my door started to creak open; I instantly closed my eyes and pretended to be sleeping. I heard a quiet laugh sound from Luke's lips and a couple of seconds later, I heard my door shut. Luke shuffled around for a while before taking a seat on the edge of my bed.

"Jos," Luke whispered as he placed his hand on my back. He leaned down to my ear before whispering again, this time placing a kiss on my ear, which caused me to smile. "There she is," Luke spoke quietly before kissing the top of my head. "Good morning."

"Good morning," I spoke quietly as I opened my eyes. I turned slowly to lay on my back and smiled as I looked up at Luke who was smiling down at me.

"I made you breakfast," Luke told me before reaching for my nightstand, which I glanced over to see had a tray sitting on it. I took my time to sit up as I continued to smile and Luke placed the tray in my lap once I was situated.

"How dare you be a perfect human?"

"It comes naturally," Luke joked as he shrugged his shoulders. "I'm just crowding your mind with all these sweet things I'm doing so that you'll be unable to tell anyone a single bad thing about me."

"I'm not sure I've found many bad things about you," I told Luke as I cut into one of the pancakes that were on the plate in front of me. "You've done a pretty good job of covering your tracks this far. There's no way I could dig up any dirt on you and write all those hate articles I've been dreaming about." I glanced at Luke to see him smiling, which caused me to smile as well. "Are you going to come back over here later, or do you want me to come spend the night?" I asked Luke after taking a sip of the coffee he had brought me.