"the people want answers"

chapter twenty: the people want answers

WEDNESDAY NIGHT. In the middle of a conversation I was having with Madalyn, my phone began to ring. I peered down to see who was calling and smiled to myself as I saw Luke's name.

"Luke?" Madalyn asked and I nodded slowly before she let out a quiet laugh and told me to answer. I thanked her and lifted the phone to my ear as I accepted the call.

"Hello, Luke," I answered, interested to see what he'd be up to.

"Hello, Joseline," he countered and then immediately let out a soft laugh. I hadn't talked to Luke much after the video we filmed together, other than in the two other group videos, and I still felt sort of strange about the result of Luke Hemmings would be my boyfriend. "Michael is on his way over and I thought maybe you'd like to join?"

"To... hang out?" I asked Luke, genuinely surprised by his request. Not that it was out of the ordinary to hang out, but I wasn't expecting the combination of just Luke, Michael, and myself. It seemed random.

"No, Jos, to have a threesome." I could picture Luke's eyes rolling and I let out a small laugh. "Yes—to hang out."

"I think that sounds fun... you're sure I won't be intruding?" I asked Luke, not wanting to ruin their time together.

"You won't be intruding at all—Michael wanted me to ask you to join," Luke told me which surprised me further.

"I'd love to join," I told Luke truthfully. "Should I come over soon?"

"Yeah, just whenever you can," he told me. "Are you at home?"

"Uh... yeah," I told him, trying to think of any other place I'd be. I really didn't get out very much.

"Is Madalyn there?" I laughed at Luke's words and instead of answering, I handed Madalyn the phone. She furrowed her brows but took the phone anyway, bringing it up to her ear.

"Hello?" she asked and then nearly immediately smiled. I heard Luke from the phone—he seemed excited as he realized that it was Madalyn. I zoned out as they spoke, but kept a smile on my face. I genuinely appreciated how much Luke seemed to like Madalyn. "I'm giving you back to Josie, now... okay... okay." I came back to reality as Madalyn said my name and I looked up at her as she started to end her conversation with Luke. "Yes, I promise," she told Luke which caused my eyebrows to furrow. "Secret's safe with me—bye." She handed me my phone back and observed my confusion; she mouthed that she'd tell me later.

"I'm back," I said as I brought the phone to my ear. "I'll get ready and be over soon, okay?"

"Okay, sounds good," Luke told me. "Don't make us wait too long."