"highly unprofessional"

chapter nine: highly professional

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. After a long morning making edits on the articles that were scheduled to publish by the end of the day, I was exhausted. The office only employed three editors, and this week, I took on three extra articles because the two other women who edited articles had come up short on time.

Emma was always telling me that if I worked harder and offered to help others, I would eventually be rewarded. Madalyn, on the other hand, always became furious when I stepped up to do other people's work. I guess I was able to see it from both points of view.

"Take a break, Jo." I looked over at Emma as she spoke and she looked concerned, which I hadn't expected. "You look particularly tired... did you sleep well?"

"Oh, uh..." I thought back to my night and I found myself tiredly laughing as scenes played in my head. "Let's just say I spent the night at Luke's and had to wake up at five to leave for my place." Emma's face broke out into a grin and she shook her head at me. She stood up from her seat and walked to the front of our office, where we had our own coffee maker. We were always complaining about the coffee that the office used, so we were given our own Keurig a couple of months earlier. 

"You need a refill?" I nodded and Emma walked to my desk and took the coffee mug that I handed her. "So... you had loads of fun last night, then?"

"I guess you could say that," I told her, shrugging my shoulders as I sprouted a smile. "The boys are in today... he might stop in, but I'm not sure."

"Oh, fuck." Emma's eyes widened and I guessed that she had realized she would probably be meeting the band in passing today. Although Emma usually took part in the more important meetings, she had weaseled her way out to work on her article. "And I should act completely oblivious, right?"

"Uh—yes." I nodded my head and Emma joined in, understanding her task. I turned back to my computer and suddenly began to chew on my lower lip nervously. "Gosh... five people know, and they're all on my side."

"Hmm?" Emma hummed questioningly as she concentrated on making coffee.

"I can't keep anything secret," I summarized which led to Emma immediately giving me her attention. "I've told three people and two of those people told their boyfriends."

"Wait, what?" I sighed quietly and crossed my arms as I became a little upset with myself.

"I told Madalyn and Jenna... and they told their boyfriends. Which was fine before Luke and I were an ongoing thing! And now I've gone and told you." I huffed as I leaned my head back against my chair. "Am I capable of keeping my mouth shut?"

"Why'd they go and do a thing like that?" Emma asked, seeming unpleased with Madalyn and Jenna. Although it didn't pertain to the matter at hand, I found myself thinking that I needed to invite Emma over sometime. She had hung out with Madalyn and Jenna at parties we had hosted over the last year, but they really didn't know each other all that well. Although Emma was a few years older, I think she'd fit in with our group really well. "Jo?"