"you ready for this?"

chapter thirty-four: you ready for this?

MONDAY EVENING. After changing into a more relaxed pair of clothes, I was walking around my apartment to make sure there wasn't anything that I needed lurking about. I hadn't actually packed something for Luke's place in a while, but tonight I felt a slight need to stall.

All afternoon I had been thinking about what Emma had told me—she ended the conversation before I could give any real advice, but she had told me that she was too scared to take a test because she was so worried it would come out positive. I couldn't quite wrap my head around the whole possibility of Emma being pregnant with Ashton's baby, but I also wanted to help in any way that I could.

I wasn't sure how that tied into me feeling the need to push off going to Luke's, but I was starting to think that part of me was scared I'd want to talk about it with Luke. But I wouldn't, because it's not my place. However, I was developing a record of letting secrets slip.

On my way down to my car, after locking up, I continued to think over Emma's situation. I got into my car and suddenly wondered how I would be feeling if I was in her place.

I quickly stopped because the thought alone overwhelmed me. However, knowing how overwhelmed I would be, I found a new explanation for why I wasn't jumping at the chance to be with Luke like I normally would be. I wanted to be with Emma.

I dropped by a convenience store that was just down the road from my apartment and purchased two tests—one for today, one for later... just in case we didn't trust the accuracy.

Instead of going to Luke's, I took a right turn on my usual route and headed toward Emma's place. I didn't even bother texting Emma to let her know I was coming, I simply walked up to the door of her apartment and knocked.

It took Emma about a minute to come to the door and, when she saw me, she seemed confused. Usually, she'd seem a little happier to see me, but I couldn't help but notice how exhausted she seemed. She had left work early, so I wasn't completely sure how the rest of her day had gone.

"Josie? What are you doing here?"

"Let's do this thing," I said before holding up the tests. "You're not going to do it alone, but there's no harm in doing it. If we don't trust the result we get, we can try in a couple of days. Or even get you an appointment—" Before I could fully finish my thought, Emma wrapped her arms around me tightly.

"Thank you so much, Jo," Emma said, her voice shaky from being near tears. "You didn't have to do this, but I really appreciate that you did."