"just friends"

chapter five: just friends

MONDAY EVENING. The boys hung around for the remainder of the work day after the interview had ended. Most of that time was spent in meetings with some of the higher-ups, but they also spent some time going around the offices. Since they would be around for a good portion of the summer, they decided to familiarize themselves with the building and the people. I had left them in good hands, but couldn't stop thinking about everything that had happened for the remainder of the day.

It was strange how quickly I had come to accept everything that had happened in the past three days. I couldn't believe there would forever be a video of me interviewing 5 Seconds of Summer in the world once it was posted. I'd always have a small connection to them, even if I didn't have the added connection with Luke.

I was sitting in my office, at my desk, when someone gently knocked. I knew the door was open, so my eyebrows furrowed. As I looked up, I saw Luke standing in the doorframe.

The girl I shared my office with was out for the next couple of days, so Luke had gotten lucky to find me alone.

"Hey, stranger," I greeted with a smile. He stepped into my office as he shoved his hands into his pockets and looked around at the decorations. Emma, the girl I shared my office with, had a similar style and taste to me, so our office was fairly cohesive and nice. We both had small trinkets lining our desks and on the top of our shelves, but our office was mainly decorated with minimalist touches and earthy hues.

"Could we talk for a second?" Luke asked and I slowly nodded my head, finding his tone odd. He closed the door and I felt my heart rate increase, but I didn't mind the feeling of anticipation. Luke walked closer to me and reached for Emma's chair before rolling it closer to mine. He sat down directly beside me and spun me to face him.

"Yes?" I asked him, laughing nervously as he kept quiet even though he clearly had something on his mind. Luke sighed before reaching into his pocket and pulling out his phone. I watched as he unlocked his phone and pulled something up; he turned his phone around and showed it to me. It was a picture—it barely took me a full second to realize what I was looking at and what it meant. "Oh."

"It's the only one—there's no way that anyone will be able to tell it's you." I took Luke's phone into my hands and zoomed into the picture of the two of us getting into a car. We were in the background of a fan's photo. "It just started blowing up—I wanted you to see it."

"Thanks for letting me know." I sighed and handed back his phone.

"I followed you back, by the way." I laughed quietly at Luke's other news and gave him a smile. "Your tweets are funny."

"Oh, god." I groaned as I thought about Luke reading through my tweets and he began to laugh at my clear discomfort. "There wasn't anything too awful on there, right?"