"you can always start a new puzzle"

chapter twenty-eight: you can always start a new puzzle

THURSDAY AFTERNOON. I was patiently waiting for Emma to get back from her meeting with Tony. I felt like it had been ages since I talked to Emma and I wanted to ask her how things with Ashton were going. I busied myself for a long while by reading through the edits that were made on my article about Luke, which would be published on Saturday, and even found a couple of things I wanted to add.

"I am exhausted." My face lit up as Emma walked into the room and I immediately gave her my attention. "You look chipper... what happened?" My eyes rolled playfully and I let out a quiet laugh as I pushed myself up from my chair.

"Want some coffee?" I asked as I crossed to our coffee maker.

"Yes, please," Emma replied. "Now will you please tell me what's going on with you?"

"I just missed you!" I told her, thinking it was funny that she was so suspicious of me. I turned to look at her after turning the coffee maker on and I titled my head as I took in her presence. She was genuinely glowing. Emma was normally very happy, but something about her good attitude was heightened. She was looking away from me and had a small smile playing on her lips. "Missy, you'd better get to talking. You're the one that has something going on." Emma slowly looked up at me, her smile growing.

"I might have had a really good night last night," Emma whispered and my eyes widened. I immediately rushed to our door and closed it, my back against the wood.

"Emma!" I exclaimed and she smiled wide. "You guys had sex?" Emma began to nod rapidly and I jumped in excitement.

"I don't know how long it's been since I've felt this way."

"What? Fulfilled?"

"It was way before Pat, I can tell you that." I covered my mouth as I let out a laugh in response to Emma's insult. "I am so happy, Jo. I feel like I'm on cloud nine. I have this great guy, who's fucking amazing in all aspects—"

"Are you guys... dating dating?" I couldn't help but feel lame as the words left my lips, but Emma laughed off my middle-school-sounding question.

"I know it's fast, but we just make each other so happy. We figured there was no reason not to just go for it." I was surprised to hear Emma's words but tried not to let it show. I felt like there was one huge reason not to go for it.

"I'm really happy for you, Em... but aren't you nervous? What are you going to do?"

"What are you talking about?" Emma asked, seeming oblivious.