The Letter

By the time Harry and Y/N were out of the cupboard again it was the summer holidays. This didn't really bring much happiness to the twins since during school holidays they wouldn't do much 'holidaying' at all. They would spend their time running away from Dudley's gang during the sport they liked to call 'Potter Poaching' which would usually be Dudley's exercise for the year.

Y/N and Harry had just gotten the  news from Uncle Vernon that they would be attending Stonewall High, a school built to deal with the 'naughty' children. And at that moment, the ruffling of the post box caught everyone's attention, with the following flop of the cluster of letters now laying on the floor.

"Go fetch the post, Dudley" Uncle Vernon said from his armchair.

"Make one of the Potters get it," Dudley spat out as if the word was acidic.

"Get the post Harry, no doubt it's the permission slip for you both to attend Stonewall."

Harry slipped out and returned a minute later staring at two small envelopes with a curious look on his face. He handed one to Y/N, on the back was a wax seal bearing a crest with a lion, an eagle, a badger and a snake all surrounding a large letter 'H'.

He flipped it over to see the unmistakable words:

Mr Y/N Potter
The Cupboard under the Stairs
4 Privet Drive
Little Whinging
Surrey

Before he could even begin to open his letter it was snatched from him by big, greasy hands belonging to Dudley Dursley. "Mom, Dad, look the Potters have letters!" He shouted across the dining room.

Vernon's head snapped up making his curly moustache bounce on his face. "Who would be writing to you, you have no friends," he cackled at the end like a mad wizard, which soon stopped when he saw the insignia on the back of the envelope. Shock registered on his face and he looked towards Petunia as if asking for help.

She marched across the room in two strides and matched Vernon's look of absolute terror at the idea that this person knew where to find the Potters.

'Who wrote to us?' Y/N thought to himself. Harry just turned around and shrugged at his brother. The next they knew they were being ushered back to their cage under the stairs and the letters were burning in the flames of the fireplace.

()()()()()

The door to the Potters' shared cupboard opened slowly to the image of Uncle Vernon's forced kind smile, later that same day.

"About this cupboard, Harry, Y/N... Your Aunt and I believe you've gotten a bit big for it... we think it would be nice for you both to move into Dudley's second bedroom." The words were said in such a sickeningly sweet tone, that both Harry and Y/N felt more insecure than if he was screaming his head off.

"Why?" Y/N questioned... but Y/N had forgotten one of the two hundred thousand rules of the Dursley household.

"DON'T ASK QUESTIONS!" He bellowed, aiming a slap across Y/N's face, but stopping mid-swing. He tried to look kind again, but it ended up making his veins pop and his face to turn a deadly shade of red.  "Now kindly move upstairs and bring your...  nevermind." Vernon had glanced behind the twins to realise that they didn't have any belongings to move from their place under the stairs.

The twins quickly did as he asked and brought themselves up to the bedroom. They'd never seen a bedroom so big before. It even had a window and a cupboard which wasn't used for sleeping in.

Y/N ran inside and dived, spread eagle, onto the king size bed. Harry just stumbled inside with his mouth hanging slightly agape, taking in the sight of the room. His walk was zombie-like as he made his way to the bed, pressing his hands gently into the duvet and watching as they sunk down into the soft material.