The Champions

"Harry and Y/N Potter!" Dumbledore called out.

No one moved.

"Harry and Y/N Potter!" Dumbledore called again.

"No..." Hermione said in shock. "No... please..."

Tears started to fall from her eyes as reality finally hit her.

"Don't go. Please, no.... no, no, no.... Y/N, don't move, he's reading it wrong," Hermione said, holding onto Y/N tightly, not wanting to let go in fear of losing him.

"Harry and Y/N Potter!!!!" Dumbledore yelled.

"I'm sure there are other people with that name. Potter is a common name, right? Right?" Hermione said.

"Hermione, we have to stand up," Y/N said.

"No! No, you don't! There has to be a mistake! You're too young! You can't be made to do this!" Hermione cried, keeping Y/N firmly pressed against his seat, stopping him from moving. "You aren't leaving! ... please... I need you with me..."

"HARRY AND Y/N POTTER!!!"

"I'm sorry, Hermione, but I have to go... I don't want to... but I have to," Y/N said, pulling his arm free from Hermione's grip. When his arm came loose, Hermione gave off a weak whimper, with her eyes following him until he and Harry were out of sight. She broke down crying and hid her face in her arms as chaos broke out around her.

Though she didn't notice it at the time, the Beauxbatons group were pointing at her weeping form and laughing. Even Ron, who seemed like he couldn't love these 'Veelas' anymore, sent them the finger.

()()()()()

Y/N and Harry walked into the chamber behind the Great Hall, removing themselves from the piercing gazes of their classmates. The chamber beyond the hall was pretty small in comparison to its neighbour, and was lined with portraits of witches and wizards. On the opposite side of the room sat a fireplace, where the real champions were gathered around, staring into the flames as if captivated by the flickering light.

"What is it?" Fleur asked when she noticed the boys standing awkwardly in the corner of the room. "Do zey want us back in ze Hall?"

Harry and Y/N were both stuttering messes, unable to get a word out to the three champions, awaiting an answer.

"Y/N? You alright?" Cedric asked before hearing the chamber door be shoved open aggressively.

"Extraordinary!" Ludo Bagman shouted as he rushed into the room and put a hand on each Potter's shoulder. "Absolutely extraordinary! Gentleman... lady... May I introduce - incredible though it may seem - the fourth and fifth Triwizard champion?"

Krum sat up straight in his puffy armchair, seemingly only starting to listen when Ludo said 'fourth and fifth'. Cedric looked shocked, stumbling backwards in disbelief. Fleur, on the other hand, just sat there and smirked at Bagman as if he had said something funny.

"Oh, vairy funny joke, Meester Bagman," she said.

"Joke?" Bagman questioned. "No, no, not at all! Y/N and Harry's names have just came out of the Goblet of Fire!"

"But evidently zair 'as been a mistake. They cannot compete. They are too young."

"Well... it is amazing..." Bagman said, running a hand through his hair and smirking down at the two worried boys. "But, as you know, the age restriction was only imposed this year as an extra safety measure. And as their names have come out of the Goblet... I mean, I don't think there can be any ducking out at this stage... it's down in the rules, you're obliged... Y/N and Harry will just have to do the best they-"