The Marauders

"You're both mental!" Ron exclaimed.

"You're insane!" Y/N said.

"Ridiculous!" Hermione chimed in.

"Peter Pettigrew's dead!" Harry said. "He killed him twelve years ago!"

"I meant to," Black growled. "But little Peter got the better of me... not this time, though!"

Black suddenly lunged at Scabbers. Ron yelled in pain as Black fell on top of his broken leg.

"Sirius, no!" Lupin yelled, as he pulled Black off of Ron. "WAIT! You can't do it just like that... they need to understand... we've got to explain..."

"We can explain afterwards!" Black said, as he tried to go for Scabbers again. The rat kept trying to escape, scratching at Ron's hands as he did so.

"They've got a right to know everything!" Lupin said, restraining Sirius. "Ron's kept him as a pet! There are parts of it even I don't understand! And Y/N and Harry... you owe them the truth, Sirius!"

Black stopped his struggle against Lupin. His eyes were fixated on Scabbers still, but he spoke to them all without breaking eye contact with the rat.

"All right, then," Black started. "Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for..."

"You're nutters, both of you," Ron said, with his eyes darting around the room at his friends. "I've had enough of this. I'm off!"

Lupin raised his wand, pointing it straight at Scabbers.

"You're going to hear me out, Ron," Lupin said, almost whispering. "Just keep a tight hold on Peter while you listen."

"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!" Ron yelled. He tried to stand up, but with his bad leg and the struggling rat in his hands, he stumbled and fell. Harry raced over and picked Ron up, and dragged him to the bed. "There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die... a whole street full of them..."

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" Black exclaimed.

"Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter," Lupin continued. "I believed it myself... until I saw the map tonight. Because the Marauder's Map never lies... Peter's alive. Ron's holding him."

"But Professor Lupin... Scabbers can't be Pettigrew... it just can't be true, you know it can't..." Hermione spoke, trembling as she held onto Y/N's arm with both of her hands.

"Why can't it be true?"

"Because... because people would know if Peter Pettigrew had been an Animagus. We did Animagi in class with Professor McGonagall. And I looked them up when I did my homework... the Ministry keeps tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animal they become, and their markings and things... and I went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register, and their have only been seven Animagi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list-"

"Hermione... I think you're forgetting something..." Y/N whispered.

"Oh, right... So he never registered with the Ministry like Y/N and Harry-"

"HERMIONE!!"

"I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to! It just slipped out!"

"Yes, Hermione, you're correct. Y/N, Harry, we'll have a talk about your Animagus abilities later." Lupin said. "But it wasn't just Pettigrew who became an Animagus... there were three-"

"If you're going to tell them the story, get a move on, Remus," Black snarled. "I've waited twelve years, I'm not going to wait much longer."

"All right... but you'll need to help me, Sirius. I only know how it began..."