Diagon Alley

Boarding a train with Hagrid was a lot of fun. The crazed looks and stares from other passengers made him go beet red in the face and cover his chest with crossed arms. Y/N and Harry felt around the same anxiety as they were still wearing their scruffy clothes that had layer after layer of dust on, turning a light blue into a darkened grey.

Mothers shielded their children from the large man sat across from them, one of the kids even giving a squeak of fright as Hagrid raised one of his hands to give a gentle wave. Hagrid felt quite put out after that. The adults, especially the women, were shaking their heads at him, believing it was his fault that the twins looked the way they did, which technically, it may have been if Hagrid had of knocked on the door instead of knocking it down. The men, on the other hand, seemed to brush it off, mumbling under their breath and hoping that their kids don't end up like the Potters... the Potters were hoping that too.

It was a long journey of just that which gave the twins some time to re-read their letters and look over the required equipment list. All things from uniform and books designed to educate the reader of magic and other things that go with it. Magical animals, BROOMS (which got Y/N really excited), and dark forces, which sent shivers down their spines.

On the boat ride back to shore earlier that day Hagrid had informed them of the reason they were famous. How Lord Voldemort, which he struggled in saying, had broken into their home, and struck down their parents when Y/N and Harry weren't handed over. How Hagrid had found them on Dumbledore's command and brought them to him outside of number 4 Privet Drive. Hagrid's face had then turned into a fountain as he explained that he wanted to take them both in himself after McGonagall had told tales of how awful people the Dursleys were.

One thing on the long list of equipment that stood out to both boys was that they were allowed to bring a pet. Y/N immediately voiced that it would be incredible to actually own a cat while Harry was star struck at having an owl for a pet.

"Really clever, magical animals are," Hagrid had told them, 'There's a shop down Diagon Alley that sells 'em. What I'd really wan' would be a dragon, fascinatin' creatures they are."

The train slowed down to a stop after a 3 hour journey. All passengers exited and left through the ticket barriers which stumped Hagrid, he only managed to get it working on the third try and then went and got stuck in it.

They climbed a broken down escalator to a busy street lined with shops and restaurants alike. This confused Y/N and Harry since not one of these many shops seemed to be selling magic wands, unless you count the 'Prank Hut' which sold plastic wands with paper flowers stuffed inside.

Finally, they came to a stop outside a rundown looking pub called 'The Leaky Cauldron' which seemed small on the outside but acted like Doctor Who's Tardis on the inside. It wasn't just a pub it was an inn with an upstairs and a cellar (most likely for beer).

"The usual Hagrid?" Tom, the barman, shouted over to the new arrivals.

"Can't Tom, I'm on official Hogwarts business," said Hagrid, patting Y/N on the back making him stumble forward. The pub had suddenly gone really quiet, only hushed whispers of 'Potters' were heard from various tables around the room.

"Bless my soul, it's the Potters!" Tom  cried out. There was a sudden shuffling of chairs, a rushing of feet, and hands were being shook and shook again, they were even asked to pet someone's cat, which Y/N happily obliged to.

"P-P-Potters," stuttered a man wearing a purple turban, "C-Can't t-tell you how p-pleased I am to m-meet you."

"'Ello Professor Quirrell!" Called Hagrid over the ruckus of the growing crowd at the mention of the Potters' names, "Y/N, Harry, this will be your Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts."