The Welcomed Task

"Potters! Weasley! Will you pay attention?" Professor McGonagall asked irritatedly. The boys had been busy having a free-for-all sword fight in the corner of the Great Hall. "I do hope I'm not teaching you Transfiguration just for you to do foolish things like this."

The trio groaned, untransfigured their steel swords back into three black umbrellas, and tossed them back into the corner of the hall, where a small coat stand stood all alone. They dragged their feet back to their seats, grumpily flinging themselves back onto the benches, which housed all the Gryffindor boys while the females were sat on the opposite side of the room. Professor McGonagall had dragged all of the Gryffindors to the Hall, all she had said was that she wanted 'a word'. Whatever that word was, it was surely important as her face had grown serious. And, by that I mean, even more serious than usual.

Y/N looked across the room, catching Hermione's eye. Her leg was bouncing anxiously as she awaited the important news, and also because she was itching to get her hand back in close proximity to Y/N's. He winked at her and smirked, causing the girl to smile, shake her head and look at her feet. The next second, Parvati and Lavender had began whispering into her ear, making Hermione go red in the face.

"Alright, now that the three musketeers have been kind enough to act their age," McGonagall began, glaring slightly at the boys. "I have something to say to you all... The Yule Ball is approaching... a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since its inception. On Christmas night, we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for well mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally, because the Yule Ball is first and foremost... a dance."

There was an uproar of groans from the boys' side of the Hall, with only a few smiles from the males who already had their dance partners picked out in the form of their significant others. Surprisingly, Neville was one of the people who didn't groan. The girls, on the other hand, had all started giggling and whispering to each other excitedly, most likely about which boy they wanted to be their date.

"Silence! The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you, in the course of a single evening, besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons."

"Try saying that five times, faster," Fred whispered to George from behind Y/N. George obviously tried it, all of his words jumbling up, and an unknown spell being cast. Ron suddenly let out a scream of pain as his underwear was ripped up from behind him by some unseen force.

"Now to dance is to let the body breath," McGonagall continued after glaring at the three Weasleys. "Inside every girl a secret swan slumbers... longing to burst forth, and take flight..."

"Something's about to burst out of Eloise Midgen, but I don't think it's a swan," Ron whispered to the Potter brothers. They both snorted and glanced over at the poor girl, who had earlier in the year, blown off her nose in an attempt to clear up her acne.

"Inside every boy a lordly lion, prepared to prance," Professor McGonagall suddenly turned on Ron. "Mr Weasley, will you join me." Ron's eyes widened as Professor McGonagall held out one of her hands to him.

"Go prance, Ron!" Y/N called after him, to which the red head shot an evil look behind himself to his best friends. McGonagall pulled the youngest Weasley brother close to herself.

"Now, place your hand on my waist."