For The Better

Rainbow Dash's Point Of View-

I looked at Fluttershy as I held my head.

"Fluttershy?" I looked at her in confusion.

"Dash? Are you okay?"

Then it hit me. I remembered everything. I remember when I met her. She was so quiet and shy when I first met her... I remember when we had that conversation in Applejacks's truck. I told her that we would be there for her no matter what and she started crying because no one had ever been so nice to her. I remembered how many times she would hug me and reassure me when I cried over Twilight.

A tear rolled down my face when more memories came back.

I remembered our trip to the mall. The massage, our lunch, and when she held me as I cried. I remembered when I had to literally drag her out of the pet store at the mall because she wanted to stay there forever.

I looked around the little cave we were in.

I remember when we came here last. The little picnic we had and how much fun we had. I remembered how beautiful she looked as she stared at the rainbow through the waterfall. She was so kind to help me when I cut my hand... The memory of when she came to my house and I was a huge mess over Twilight came flooding back to me. How kind she was when I asked her to stay because I didn't want to be alone... 

I started at Fluttershy as more memories came back to me.

I could almost feel the sparks when I remembered the first kiss we shared... I felt pain stab my heart when I remembered the time I went to her house and confessed how confusing my feelings were for her. How I left the house and she chased after me... I felt regret when I remembered that I kissed her in the rain and then ran away...

"Rainbow Dash? What's wrong? Are you okay?" I flinched as Fluttershy touched my arm.

What should I do? Should I tell her that I remembered everything?

No, she'll never forgive you for what you did to her.

The inner voice in my head spoke for me as I rubbed my head.

"Yeah, yeah... I'm okay." Fluttershy looked at me with concern. "Could we just go?" Her face fell as disappointment set into her eyes.

"Oh, yeah... Sure." 

I helped her pack up our little picnic that we had before going to the ledge where we had to climb up.

"I'll lift you up there then hand you the stuff, okay?" She avoided eye contact as she nodded.

"Here." She handed me a pair of black gloves. "Last time you climbed up there you hurt your hand... So I thought I would give you these just in case." I looked at the gloves before looking back at her.

"Thank you." She slightly nodded before stepping in front of me and lifting her hands into the air. I grabbed her by the waist and lifted her up. She grabbed the top and pulled herself up. I handed her our stuff before putting the gloves on and climbing up myself.

We silently walked back to the car as we trudged through the weeds and grass.

"Fluttershy..." I looked at her as I fastened my seat belt. "I really am so sorry about-"

"It's fine." She snapped as she put her car in gear and started heading home.

The entire way home, one question kept ringing in my head as I stared out the window.

Was I making the right choice?

*Two hours later*

"Thanks for the picnic Fluttershy." I broke the silence in the car as she pulled into my driveway. "We should do it again some time." Fluttershy wiped her cheek as she sniffed.

"Please go..." She whispered. "I just want to be alone." She rested her head on the steering wheel of her car and started to cry.

I reached out to rub her back but pulled back as I sighed.

"Thank you." I grabbed my stuff and got out of the car. 

I watched her car pull out of the driveway before I opened the door to my silent house.

I didn't want her to go, I wanted her to stay... I wanted to be with her. I know that it was tearing her up inside... But it's better this way.

Right?

*Midnight That Night*

I threw the blanket on the floor as I sat up in bed. I had been tossing and turning all night and I still couldn't go to sleep. No matter what I did, they way I laid, or what I thought about... I just felt so guilty. I know I should tell her... But she couldn't possibly forgive for what I did, could she?

I sighed as I got out of bed and looked around my dark room.

What should I do?

I grabbed my phone and headed downstairs. I turned on the kitchen light and sat down in the living room. I ignored the voicemail I had from Fluttershy and scrolled through my phone contacts and thought for a second.

I have to talk to somebody about this... I think I'll go crazy if I don't.

I dialed a number and put the phone up to my ear as I sat with my knees close to my chest. I wasn't sure she would answer, but I had hope.

One ring...

Two rings...

She probably won't answer.

Three r-

"Hello?" I sighed at the familiar country accent on the other end of the phone.

"Hey Applejack." I put my head to my knees as I spoke.

"Rainbow Dash? Are you okay?" I heard little noises in the background like she was trying to get up out of bed.

"Well, yeah... Kind of..." I sighed and closed my eyes. "No, not really. I just... I didn't know who else to call and I needed to talk to somebody and I know you've always helped me and you've never told anybody any of my secrets and... And..." I started crying as I rambled on.

"Shh, it's okay sugar cube. You want me to come over?" I wiped my nose on my pants before sniffing. I realized she couldn't see me nodding so I whispered a small, "yeah."

I stared at the blank TV in front of me as I waited for Applejack to get here. Around one, I finally saw her headlights through the living room windows.

I stumbled to get up and get outside. As soon as Applejack got out of the truck, I hugged her and started crying into her shoulder.

"Hey, it's gonna be alright." She rubbed my back as she tried to calm me down. "Now," she said as she kept hugging me but stepped back so she could see my face. "What happened sugar cube?"