xii. black wings

A few weeks quickly passed by in a blink of an eye.

Jeongguk's right brow comically twitched in annoyance. He was sick and tired of listening to the council's arguments. He sighed as he massaged his forehead in an attempt to calm himself. "Silence!"

Every demon forced their mouth shut. Shivers ran down their spine. The devil's voice never failed to make their kneels buckle in fear.

A daring demon cleared his throat, Elder Han. Right, these days he suddenly became a vicious cat. Even dared to let Tartarus loose, how dare he. Though the devil had no choice but to put up with his attitude because he was an Elder. They were highly intelligent and respected.

"My deepest apologies, sire. But I do propose that the human stays here. The future fate has already told me to let the human stay." Elder Han started. He stood straight by the king's side, his chin hung up. "Since he was offered to you, perhaps Eros has already made plans for the two of you, eh?" He teased, a malicious smirk on his chapped lips.

Jeongguk visibly clenched his jaw, Elder Han cleared his throat awkwardly at that. "Thank you, Elder Han. Since it was the future fates' decision, the human will stay in Hades for as long as he lives. I trust you on this, Elder Han." The devil let out, his eyes darted to the said elder, he had his doubts on him but he couldn't do anything.

Elder Han smiled in triumph, wrinkles appeared on the corners of his eyes. "Believe me when I say this, sire, that was the best decision you have made in your entire life." perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't. Either way, Jeongguk didn't like the confidence that came with his voice. He seemed so sure about it, there was no trace of hesitancy in his tone.

The devil firmly nodded his head nevertheless. "You are dismissed." He said, every demon stood up and left the room one by one in result.

Jeongguk heaved a sigh, his hands came up to caress his temple. It had been a long day. He wasn't even over the little ruckus that the human had caused last night during dinner, and now he had to make his decision, whether to kill him or let him live in hades for the rest of his life.

The human surely was a handful.

It wasn't really his decision because the fates had told Elder Han what do to. It was better to follow the fates because they knew better than him. They have the ability to know the past and the future, they make important decisions to make sure it will not harm the realm.

But still, it had been mayhem when the council was fighting loudly. Hades just wanted to rest, perhaps torture demons in Tartarus or feed his beast of a dog.

When he had thought of 'feeding his dog', that of course meant giving Cerberus dead bodies to feast on.

"You seem lost in thought, sire. Don't worry, for everything will be fine. I told you already, that was the best decision you ever made." He snapped his head towards the voice of Elder Han. He thought the demon had already left earlier, perhaps not.

"You are speaking nonsense, Elder Han. That lowly human is good in nothing but giving me a headache." Jeongguk barked out, his brow was raised in a challenging manner, as if he was telling the Elder, 'shut your mouth and stop spewing nonsense before I cut off your fucking tongue.'

Elder Han only shook his head in disappointment. "Sire, sire. If I were you, treat the human kindly. Remember that he is bound you. A werewolf would say, the two of you are mates." He smiled and tilted his head to the side, feigning innocence. Once he saw the king's hardly clenched jaw, he muttered an 'oops' and dashed out of the room.

Jeongguk sighed, what a drag.

~

It was later that day when Jeongguk decided to visit the library. It was just mild curiosity that pushed him to research about his situation. What Elder Han said clicked something in his brain and it really bothered him.

And so, with a question on his mind; 'was this experienced by his ancestors as well?' he left and headed to the library.

It was one of those days where Jeongguk would only feel bothered by his wings. They were just in the way, and since he would be chilling inside the library for the rest of the day, he figured to put his wings away.

They hurt a lot the first time he tucked then away. But later on, he got used to it and his body became numb to the pain.

With his hand leisurely tucked inside the pockets of his black slacks, he walked inside the big library. His piercing black eyes scanned the room like a hawk, it had been a while since the last time he stayed in the library.

Well, except for that day when Cerberus ran away and had found Taehyung crying.

Speaking of the devil — no, not Jeongguk — the aforementioned human sat peacefully on a chair. He was reading a book, a serene smile casted upon his pretty lips. His eyelashes fluttered beautifully. The king couldn't help but get drawn to his calming features.

There was just something about his being that was so peaceful. And peace was something Jeongguk had been wanting since forever. Perhaps it was the way his pink, plump lips pouted every once in a while, or the way his full brows furrowed cutely, or—

"J-jeongguk?" He was immediately brought back to reality by Taehyung's deep velvety voice. Though, there was something off in his tone. He sounded.. nervous. Was it because of what had happened last night? Or was it because he had found Jeongguk creepy, just staring at him?

Either way, the devil really didn't care.

Hades ignored him and continued on his way. He went to one of the top shelves, it contained older books. He climbed a ladder and picked out a book about his ancestors. He was never really the type to like reading — unless it was necessary and needed in the palace's affairs.

"What are you reading? And where are your wings?" He heard once his feet landed on the ground. The devil scowled, he just wanted to read in peace, so he ignored the human once again and took a seat far away from Taehyung.

But it seemed like the human had other plans because the next thing he knew, Taehyung was sitting in front of him with an adorable boxy grin.

~

a/n: my sister's been really obsessed with boruto lately and i'm getting influenced o.O