xvii. future queen

Taehyung couldn't believe this was happening. He stood in front of every demon, his frame trembling in nervousness. Compared to the other demons beside him, he looked out of place.

His body couldn't help but shake. He wasn't used to this much attention and the fact that he felt like he was about to pass out wasn't helping him calm his nerves at all.

His eyes felt heavy, he felt too weak to even stand straight, his head was pounding and his legs were almost giving up.

Whether it was because of fatigue and exhaustion or nervousness, Taehyung really didn't know. All he knew was that he felt so tired he could pass out.

He nervously glanced at his side, the line of selected demons greeting him. One thing he noticed was that they were all females. He gulped the lump in his throat and turned to elder han, who stood right beside him with a smile.

"Elder Han," his small voice called out. The aforementioned demon faced him with a small smile. "U-um, I-I.. I'm a male, I-I'm not supposed to be here." He said, a hand gesturing to the rest of the candidates, who unlike him, were females.

The demon gave him a grin, which looked so forced Taehyung wanted to grimace. "Gender identity isn't a barrier for being qualified as a queen." Was all he said. The pink haired male nodded his head lightly, unconvinced.

He bit his lip, why was he the only male then?

A sigh of defeat left his pink lips. He waited patiently as Elder Shu tallied the votes. God, he couldn't tell how long he had been standing there.

The poor exhausted human had been standing there since the voting began. The rest of the candidates smiled politely and stood straight, while he wore a scowl on his face, his gaze focused on the floor.

Weren't they aware of technology? This election could be done in a few minutes if they used technology. But it seemed like they were clueless.

"Sire, are you ready to make the decision?" Elder Han asked once he looked at his side for Elder Shu's confirmation. The latter Elder had finished tallying the votes, it was time for the king to pick.

Jeongguk looked at him and blankly nodded his head. The pink haired male stared at him in anticipation. His heart pumping loudly in his chest, his teeth gnawed at his already swollen lip.

The devil opened his mouth to speak, Taehyung followed closely, waiting patiently for his choice. He silently wished that he wouldn't get picked.

Mirae Han was a great candidate. Surely, she knew the palace's affairs very well because of his grandfather. Besides her, Taehyung couldn't really think of a better queen.

Minthe obviously knew nothing about ruling. She was nothing but a pathetic whore, who sadly had the king wrapped around her finger. Truth be told, Jeongguk was spoiling her too much, even picking her as a candidate. That was too far.

And then in a snap, Taehyung wished he was the queen. The thought of Minthe sitting on a golden throne beside the king was just utterly infuriating. The pink haired male never really liked the nymph.

Taehyung's big bambi eyes widened when the devil's deep voice entered his ears. "Serving as the first queen of Hades, ruler of the underworld alongside me, will be.. Kim Taehyung." the way his name rolled out of Jeongguk's lips was the most addicting thing ever.

Cheers erupted from the crowd, a loud protest coming from Minthe. But Taehyung couldn't care less about his surroundings. All he could focus on was Jeongguk.

He stared at the ravenette in disbelief. The fact that he was the future queen hadn't really sunk in until a small gesture from the king had been sent to him.