xxix. malicious smirks

A few days before the gamble match

The cold wind blew harshly. The calming sound of the flowing river resonated throughout the area. Beside the river, there was a small cosy house.

An evil smirk danced on the ebony haired's red lips. She was sitting on a chair by the window, a cup of tea by her hand. From a distance, she watched as a demon walked towards her small house.

"I knew you'd come," She whispered to no one in particular, a sense of pride filling her insides. The cup of tea was brought up by her hand, she slowly took a sip.

You see, she had a plan. There was no way she was letting the king choose a pathetic human over her to be the queen. For her plan to succeed, she actually needed to make a few.. partnerships.

There were knocks on her door. With a smirk, she stood up and opened the door. "You've made up your mind, I see." She said to the demon before her. "And you obviously agreed." She continued, her malicious smirk growing wider.

"Just shut up and let me in!" Ahn Yumejin let out with annoyance. She rolled her eyes and stepped aside, closing the door after the demon went inside.

Yumejin settled in front of the chair she had sat at before. She walked towards the table and sat in front of him. "So? What's the plan?" Yumejin asked with a raised brow, leaning back and crossing his arms over his chest.

"The plan's simple.." She started and took a sip of her tea before continuing. "You just challenge Jeongguk into a match, invite everyone and shoot Taehyung with a gun. Make it seem like an accident. I don't care how you do it, just make sure to do one thing.." She paused and leaned in, eyes shining with an evil glint. "Shoot and kill that slut named Kim Taehyung. I know you have amazing skills when it comes to handling a gun, so make sure not to kill him immediately, I want them both to suffer."

"I'm sure you've heard of him, he sticks to Jeongguk like a fucking leech after all." She let out with an eye roll as she leaned back on her seat.

There was silence between them, she looked over at Yumejin only to see him looking down, his hair looming over his eyes. She raised a brow, wondering if Yumejin was a pussy after all.

But then, Yumejin snapped his head up, his lips caught between his pearl white teeth as he let out a sound akin to a moan. "I'd love to take the risk and kill the king's lover! Ah how wonderful that must feel." She looked at him with disgust, what a freak.

"Whatever, just make sure you do your job properly." She stated with a dismissive wave of her hand, gesturing for Yumejin to leave already.

She looked up and saw Yumejin's eyes darken, glaring at her. "Don't tell me, you forgot our deal already. Or are you too scared to gamble with me?" He paused and leaned in, slamming his palms against the table, causing a loud thud that startled her. "I fucking hate cowards who run away from the risk! Risking something is the most thrilling feeling ever! So don't fucking shoo me away like a fucking scaredy cat!"

She looked at him with wide eyes, her orbs shaking and her heart pumping loudly. There was only a single thought in her head; Yumejin was fucking crazy. She nodded frantically, "Of course I haven't forgotten our deal! I'll gamble with you, I'll risk my everything!" She let out, breathing heavily, trying to somewhat calm him down.

Yumejin's expression contorted into a sick smile, it terrified her, seeing how quick his expression changed was horrifying. "Good. I look forward to working with you, Lalisa Manoban."

~

A day after the gamble match

Minthe hummed a random tune as she walked. There was a victorious smile on her face. She had heard the oh so heart-shattering news of Taehyung's condition.

The rumour was quick to spread not only in the palace, but all throughout the realm. It was so satisfying to hear demons gushing about how there was no telling when the future queen would wake up.

Knowing that she was the one who caused that (well not really, but technically) brought a wide smirk on her face. She had also heard that Yumejin was sent to Tartarus and would be killed by the king, which was absolutely fantastic.

She didn't need to gamble with him anymore, not like she ever planned to. It would be a crazy move to gamble with him, for she wasn't even good at gambling. She knew the basics, but it wasn't enough to win over the gambling freak.

When she heard the news, she had smirked so wide it hurt. Everything was falling into place. It would be soon that Jeongguk and the throne are finally hers.

There was only one thing left to do.

Minthe brought her hand up and knocked on the wooden door. After a few seconds of silence, the door finally opened. "What are you doing here?" Was how the demon greeted her.

She rolled her eyes and smirked teasingly. "Well, it's nice to see you too, Thanatos." The demon before her rolled his eyes, an uninterested look being sent her way.

"Refrain from calling me that. Sehun would be fine." He said as he stepped aside and let her in. Minthe made her way to a nearby chair, as if it was her house she was in.

"What do you want?" Sehun asked with crossed arms as he sat on a chair in front of her. Minthe crossed her legs and leaned back.

"I'm here to ask you a favor. Hear me out, hm?" She started and eyed the demon in front of her to look for any reaction. When she got none, she sighed and continued anyway.

"You have something I need badly. I know that you have an army of demons, and I need that. And I also know that you absolutely hate the king. You know that the future queen is human, right? He's laying on his death bed right now. Since Jeongguk's a fucking idiot, he's just there, by his slut's side. So this is the perfect opportunity to attack and steal the throne! I get Jeongguk and the position as the queen, while you get to avenge yourself and you know what, I'll even get you into the palace! What do you say?" She said excitedly with a smirk, waiting for his response.

Though, contrast to her expectations, Sehun frowned. "I don't know, I don't really want to get thrown to Tartarus again. I barely made it out alive and now that I'm finally out, I don't want to anger the king even more. So, I'll have to say-"

"-Don't just say your decision right now! I'll give you three days to decide! Meet me at the soulsand valley then." She said through gritted teeth, Sehun was a coward. She got up, not even waiting for a response.

"Remember your potential high position in the palace. I'll even give you gold if you want." Minthe announced and dashed to the door, her teeth gritted in anger.

Fuck, this was harder than she thought. Right when her plan was going smoothly, Sehun's scared ass just has to ruin it all!

Whatever, he'd surely agree. No one gets to deny the temptation of riches. A high position in the palace and gold were more than enough, Sehun better agree.

Minthe stomped along the pathway, eyes burning with a malicious glint. She walked with a small smirk, not noticing a pair of dark eyes watching her.

~

a/n: bet you didn't expect a minthe POV. aRRGHH i've been sneezing since morning! i hate allergies >:(