xxvi. gun shot

inspired by: kakegurui.

The room was thick with tension. Nobody spoke, no one dared to break the silence. Well, except for Yumejin's continuous foot tapping. He seemed so excited, so thrilled.

But everyone wasn't focused on him. The big flat screen TV got every creatures' attention. Everyone was waiting for Namjoon to reveal his cards.

There were three rounds in total and the first round was nearing its end. With a shaky hand, Namjoon revealed his cards one by one.

When he was done, everyone's gazes snapped towards the two demons in the room, waiting for their cards to be flipped.

Wordlessly, Jeongguk flipped his cards and everyone gasped at the result. The pink haired had to stand on his tippy toe to see over Jeongguk's back. When he saw the devil's cards, Taehyung's eyes widened, his heartbeat picking up. He could feel his hands sweating, growing shaky.

Jeongguk got no card right.

Although everyone in the room was frozen with shock and fright, Jeongguk remained calm. Or was he panicking inside? No, Taehyung knew Jeongguk. He was cold-hearted, he bore no emotions.

Well, except for their time together. But that wasn't the point. The main focus was that Jeongguk might have a bullet buried deep in his skull in a few moments.

Taehyung crossed his fingers, hoping that Yumejin got none right as well. But when the aforementioned demon flipped his cards, the pink haired almost collapsed.

Yumejin got two cards right. Meaning..

Fuck, Jeongguk lost.

"Eh, would you look at that, sire? Aren't you excited? Ah, you'd have the pleasuring thrill of a gun pointed right at your head.." Yumejin let out, voice unrecognizable as he licked his lips. He reached over, fumbling with the box.

"Let's see, which one of these is mine," He whispered with a smirk. What did he mean by that? Sure, bullets weighs something, but Yumejin couldn't possibly tell, right? If he knew which gun was his just by their weight, it was over. Who knows if he put all six bullets in there.

When he grabbed a gun, he let out a sound of triumph and wasted no time on pointing it at Jeongguk, directly at his forehead.

"Ah sire, isn't this exciting? In just a few seconds you could be dead!" Yumejin exclaimed crazily, he was breathing in puffs, cheeks ablaze.

Taehyung bit his lip, watching the scene intently. He prayed a mantra in his head, knowing it was the only thing he could do. To hope that the gun doesn't fire a bullet.

Yumejin's smirk widened and with no hesitation, he fired the gun. Taehyung closed his eyes, waiting for a loud gun shot. When there was nothing but silence in the room, he slowly opened his eyes.

Jeongguk was still there, thank god. Yumejin groaned loudly. "Oh c'mon! What a bummer." He huffed loudly as he slumped back in his seat.

Taehyung let out a breath he didn't know he was holding all this time. Yumejin looked as if he was waiting for a response from Jeongguk, but since the game started, the devil haven't spoken a word.

"Whatever! Let's proceed to the next round, shall we?" Yumejin said as he nodded to the demon who was holding the box.

They repeated the same process. The second round ended with a draw, with Jeongguk and Yumejin scoring zero. Taehyung noticed that the devil's cards were aligned the same. He must be signalling Namjoon to copy his cards, what a smartass.

Round three. The demon took both of their guns, got rid of the bullets and handed it back to them.

The two proceeded to load their guns. Taehyung gulped as he watched them toss the gun into the box. The pink haired stared at Jeongguk's broad back, worried sick for him.