xxxvii. worst nightmare

warning: slight violence and gore.

"Take care, petal. You better look after yourself, alright?" Jeongguk barked, brows furrowed in worry. It stressed him, put him in unease, knowing he had to spend a week without Taehyung by his side. And who knows, perhaps he might never come back and just leave him.

Taehyung softly smiled at him. "Yes yes, take care of yourself too, and Hades. There better not be a war when I come back!" The pink haired joked, bursting into his cute boxy smile. Jeongguk's heart melted at the sight, this might be the last time he gets to see that.

A frown made its way to his lips, his eyes starting to tear up. When Taehyung looked at him questionably, he pulled him to his chest and hid his face in the crook of his neck. He didn't want Taehyung to see.

"See you in a week, Taehyung." He whispered softly to the boy's ear. Taehyung pulled back, staring at him. And then that same smile came back to his lips as he nodded adorably.

Right then, as he stared at Taehyung's pretty face, he wished he could have him in his embrace forever. But he knew that was being selfish. Those gorgeous eyes that stared back at him made him feel alive, so full of love. As he stared at Taehyung, all he wanted to say was I love you. But he chose not to.

"See you, Gukkie." Taehyung replied back, easing his worries away. Hearing him say that was so reassuring, maybe Taehyung would come back to him, maybe he wouldn't leave him. Or maybe, he will.

Either way, Jeongguk smiled, the one Taehyung always pointed out that made him look like a cute bunny. He leaned in, capturing the boy's pink lips in a sweet kiss. He grinned into the kiss when Taehyung kissed back immediately.

As their lips molded into each other, a silent promise was made. It was to get back together in a week and have more of that addicting taste.

They pulled away, smiling as they catch their breath. Jeongguk pecked Taehyung's lips one last time as the boy started backing away. Never did he look away from the boy, memorizing his ethereal features. The pink haired then slowly tipped back, letting himself fall into the river, the gateway to the overworld.

Jeongguk watched as Taehyung smiled at him before fully getting swallowed by the water. He was gone. The ravenette stared at his reflection on the river, already missing the beautiful boy.

"Shall we get going, sire?" It was Namjoon, who snapped him out of his daze. He suddenly realized he wasn't alone. He had already forgotten that Namjoon had accompanied them. Wordlessly, he nodded his head, his expression going blank as he walked ahead.

Without Taehyung— his source of warmth, everything was cold and dull.

~

"It has been almost two weeks, Jeongguk! Aren't you worried?!" Was what Jin yelled out once he entered his office. He glanced at the angry demon before looking away, ducking his head down.

"I am worried." He replied shortly, his voice the same monotone he had been using since Taehyung left. Jin looked at him weirdly, as if saying what the fuck?

He was worried, so so worried. He suddenly remembered last friday, when he had waited for Taehyung to come back by the river, all day long. But he never appeared. That was when his negative thoughts took over.

Jeongguk wasn't one to let his insecurities affect him. But in this case, with Taehyung involved, it was completely different. For the past few days, he had often caught himself staring into space, wondering if Taehyung did leave him after all. If the boy never really wanted to stay with him all along.