A Teacher's Quarrel

"This is absurd! Severus can barely manage his duties since you keep disappearing, Albus!" Minerva seemed distraught, but who could blame her. Only just this week she was forced to substitute potions twice, disregarding her schedule.

"I already apologized for that Minerva-" Severus gritted his teeth "-however it was not my fault that I had to tend to a physical fight between mine and your students!" He barked back.

"Some things never change." Sofia quietly mumbled earning a smile from Dumbledore, referring to the never-ending spats between the Slytherins and Gryffindors. Hagrid playfully nudged her whilst Severus shot her a menacing glare from across the table.

"Perhaps we can discuss a new potions position, of course, we would increase the pay, and Severus would still be in charge of the curriculum and core classes... However, this person would have to be willing to pick up most classes throughout the week...volunteers?" With potions being one of the most hated subjects at Hogwarts no one dared to volunteer themselves. Furthermore, all the professors sitting around the table had enough on their plate already.

"I do not believe this is necessary Albus, I can handle my classes and students-"

"Like hell, you can..." Came another mumble from Sofia.

"Language Sofia, this is a formal discussion after all." Minerva scolded. "However, I must agree with Professor Greene, Severus you can no longer be fully efficient and you need some sort of assistance."

"Alright everyone, this has dragged on long enough." Albus smiled. "Sofie I remember your best subject at Hogwarts was potions or am I mistaken?" Sofia raised her eyebrows, grey eyes darting from one faculty member to another.

"Perhaps Albus, however the last time I was at Hogwarts was almost 9 years ago, I highly doubt-" But before she could finish her polite attempt at a decline Severus interrupted the girl.

"She's not capable Albus," he slowly proclaimed, voice low making sure to look back at Sofia as if establishing dominance over her own decision. Sofia was an incredibly feisty and competitive persona. She never backed down from a challenge especially when someone belittled or doubted her. Without a second thought, she squinted her eyes, placing both her hands on the table eyeing Dumbledore who was already looking at her smirking, knowing what she was about to do.

"It'll be my pleasure, Albus." She announced making sure to smile at Severus who was stiffly sitting in his chair arms crossed, slender fingers gently tapping above his elbow. He returned her bold announcement by reciprocating with an eye roll. "Albus, Minerva." He nodded at both before swiftly leaving the room.

"Well this is fantastic, I now have my free periods back." Minerva smiled also getting up, bidding goodbye to Albus and the others. Sofia leaned back in her chair rubbing her temple with one hand, contemplating about what the rest of the school year would bring. Severus and her didn't get along before the war when she was his student, they didn't get along post-war even though she was barely interacting with him, mostly helping Hagrid at his hut. And they didn't get along the next 3 years either. He always knew how to grind her gears and get on her last nerves, whether it was regarding her 'lack of professionalism' or 'lack of respect from students' or ' lack of intelligence' or lack of whatever he could think of that day. After all the professors except Albus had left his office she gently placed her head on his desk.

"Lemon drop?" He mused.

"Albus, I'm not sure this is the best idea."

"You were the one who agreed to it." He smiled leaning back in his chair.

"I know, but I am unsure about how well two very short-tempered people can handle being around each other so much." She leaned her blonde hair back, tying it into a bun. She always had a horrible habit of continuously tying her hair up and pulling it down when she was agitated.

"Leave your hair be Sofie. You will do just fine, remember when I welcomed you to Hogwarts middle of the night? You told me you wouldn't be able to handle catching up with all the students yet here you are! A magnificent addition to Hogwarts!" He was right. She was dropped off at Hogwarts when she was 16, making her a 6th-year student with no magical abilities or knowledge. She had to develop them in her free time with countless after school sessions. What didn't help was the fact that her Head of House was the least empathetic wizard on the planet.

"One last thing Sofie-" Dumbledore continued. "You won't be able to stay at Hagrid's Hut anymore as you will be needed more on the main grounds. Therefore you have to pick a new room. We have three teachers quarters available. One on the fourth floor facing the lake, one on the ground floor just above the dungeons, and one in the dungeons themselves with - well - no perks, unfortunately."

"Is this even a question? Of course, I'll take the fourth-floor lake view-" She laughed, "Albus why would you even ask?"

"Some professors prefer to be closer to the classrooms in which they teach. I highly doubt you would enjoy walking up 4 flights of stairs daily..." He quirked his eyebrow. "I suggest you take the second option, the room still has large windows which I know you've always loved-" he winked, watching her closely, "-also it's located close to a staircase which the house-elves use to move swiftly through the building. Therefore you would have straight access to the dungeons and the kitchen." Upon hearing about the staircase Sofia was instantly swayed.

"You're completely right. It sounds perfect." She gave Albus a content smile.

"I will ask the elves to move your belongings from the hut to your new quarters, for now, dear Sofie I will have to ask you to leave as I have some very important business to attend to-"

"Ah of course..." She laughed. "Albus Dumbledore, lover of candy and important business." Sofia smirked heading outside of his office.

She walked down the staircase watching the Griffin shift back into position. Making her way down the hallways, her heels clacking on the grey stones. She looked out seeing the night sky, millions of stars gathered above her. Sofia sighed pulling her hair out of her bun and brushing it to the side. It was a cold night. October seemed quite unforgiving this year with the temperature drastically dropping. She pulled her black robes around her for warmth. Not much has changed in her fashion sense since school. Always a lover of black...the only thing she had in common with the broody potions professor which within a mere hour, unfortunately, became her closest colleague. She paused at the railing, taking in the sky above her. She would miss helping Hagrid teach Care of Magical Creatures, even if it often put multiple of her limbs at stake. Sofia hastily made her way to Hagrid's hut, bidding her last goodbyes promising that she would visit every chance she got.

Arriving at her new quarters she took in the surroundings. The double bed facing large windows, a couch, and a small wardrobe which she was already filling up with her dull wardrobe. Black trousers, black shirts a few of her formal white tops and a small collection of what she had left of her muggle clothes; sweaters, tops and jeans all of which she would wear during the weekends when she wouldn't be around students as much. Soon enough Sofia was curled up on her couch reading a muggle book of Greek Mythology thinking about her late mother. Only in the mere hours of the morning was she able to fall asleep. Tomorrow was Sunday after all, Sofia could allow some time to herself.