Between Life and Death

Sofia opened her eyes to find herself on the floor of the inn. The same room with the small window, and the dark brick walls. Waving her hand she started a fire in the small fireplace, which instantly lit up the grim room. Severus was still laying on her lap. Carefully placing his head on the floor she bent over once more to see if he was breathing. Leaning close to his face she whispered something, almost begging, for him to breathe. Failing to hear anything she placed her hand on his chest, as she felt it heave.

Gasping, she quickly took her wand out, levitating his body over to the bed. Wiping her hands on her trousers she caught a glimpse of her fingers. Covered in his blood. Sofia's body went into complete overdrive. Adrenalin coursing through every bone in her small body. Her tears were now dry as she walked up to the bed. Conjuring up some water she wiped the dirt from his face. Dragging a chair by the side of the large bed, she sat by his side. She watched his face. His mouth was slightly open, eyes completely shut, skin looking paler than she had ever seen before. Her mind was racing with every single spell she ever learned or heard. Feeling her heartbeat in her chest, she folded the hands on the bed, resting her head in them as she hyperventilated. Terror overtook her, as she realized that if she didn't do something at this moment, he would die. He would die, and it would be her fault. Pulling at her own hair she continued to panic. Getting up from the chair she paced around the room. Her emotions overtook her as she kicked the chair by the bed with a loud grunt. 

"Fuck." She whispered. Sofia thought about attempting to apparate to the Hogwarts infirmary but she knew that then people would start asking questions. And neither Albus nor Severus was ready to answer those questions. People would start to worry, and all due to her own fault of not being skilled enough in heeling. She looked over at him again. Seeing him so helpless and close to death drove her insane. At that moment of complete desperation, seeing the man that she now so obviously cared for completely weak, she remembered a spell. The same spell he had used on her once when the Chimera clawed at her arm. Walking up to the bed she focused. Hard. Trying to remember every single word and movement which he made months ago. Finally, inhaling a single deep breath, she pushed his body to the side. She noticed the blood trickling down into the bedsheets, a huge gash visible on the back of his head. Wincing she took out her wand. Her shaky hand dragged the wand over the wound, repeating the same melodic words he said to her once. Dragging her wand across his head, nothing seemed to change. Grunting she wiped her forehead, she was barely conscious last time she heard this spell be used, how could she manage to recreate it? But Sofia was not someone who gave up easily. Holding up his body to the side, she tried again. This time, channelling every single ounce of power she had inside of her. She wasn't sure if she was capable of healing him. However she was sure of one thing; that she would never forgive herself if Severus Snape were to die, right here, right now, in her arms.

Sofia continued to whisper the melody. Vulnera Sanentur. She dragged the wand softly over his head. Vulnera Sanentur. She continued until suddenly she saw the blood reverse into his body. His wound began to knit together as if all on its own. Her eyes lit up as she continued. Vulnera Sanentur. Over and over again, until she was sure that the wound had completely closed altogether. Placing him on his back she sat in the chair, leaning back on it, gasping for air, focusing on trying to calm herself. As she felt herself begin to calm down, she leaned over his body running her hands over it to check if there were any other wounds. To her luck, he only had a few scrapes and buses on his chest. Sitting back in the chair once more she exhaled another breath. Looking up into the ceiling she covered her face with her hands. Suddenly, all the emotions she had managed to hold in, escaped her as she began to wail. Tears streaming down her face as she cried, with nothing but the sound of the fire keeping her company

Eventually, Sofia had gathered herself, almost embarrassed by her own weeping. Wiping the last tear of her check, she watched his calm expression. She could see that his breathing had now steadied. Running her hands over her face once more whilst pulling some hair behind her ears, she got up.  Walking over to the fire, she watched the flames dance. With her mind mesmerised by the fire, she realized how tired she was. She no longer focused on who the man was, her father or the object. All she focused on was Severus. Has she grown to love the man? She wondered. Watching the fire, she felt her tight grip ease on her wand as it fell onto the carpet. Catching another quick glance at him she walked up to the bed, her body as if functioning in autopilot. She pulled his boots and his frock off, carefully pulling the sheet from under him, as she covered his body. Looking outside, she noticed that the sun had now set, although it made almost no difference as the whole day had been completely covered in darkness. Huffing, she grabbed the key from the table and walked out of the room. She knew that the mature way to go around this would be to wait for him to wake up, but Sofia was never one for patience. Ignoring her dishevelled appearance, she walked downstairs. She saw the familiar clerk who had been rude to her earlier, sitting behind the desk. Covered in dirt, she placed her hands on the small desk, forcing him to look up at her.